Subject: rslight with leafnode
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 22:24 UTC
I'm currently running a test site with rslight using leafnode as a news server. The leafnode install is default, just configure the server to connect to, and this is working fine.

If running rslight and using a remote server via i2p or tor, this makes it very fast, since the connections to the remote server are done behind the scenes and the loading of articles is not delayed. So far so good!

Also, I'm currently working on the css for a site with no frames. This is just a toggle in the config, ($frames_on="true/false";) For anyone who prefers a non-framed site, and there are many reasons to, it's coming along nicely.

This will be in the next version release.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Subject: Re: rslight with leafnode
From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 23:38 UTC

this is exciting news. leafnode will make everything lighter compared to inn2.
how many groups does leafnode handle atm on your end ?

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 23:21 UTC
anon wrote:

this is exciting news. leafnode will make everything lighter compared to inn2.
how many groups does leafnode handle atm on your end ?

Right now I'm just using rocksolid.*, but leafnode will just pull groups you use, so whatever you set up in rslight (groups.txt) will be used. There is no need to set up or connect all groups available on the server, so I don't think number of groups is an issue. rslight really only likes about 30-40 groups in one instance or it becomes a bit slow anyway.

I just added a new group to my test site in rslight, and it pulled the articles and they're available just fine.

While leafnode is working great, I'm still considering just building it all into rslight. Since I've merged spoolnews into the code, it's actually ready to have all articles available immediately now, I just need to add local posting (then it posts to the server behind the scenes).

Retro Guy

--
Posted on RetroBBS
www.rocksolidbbs.com

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 03:50 UTC
Attachments: rslight.jpg (image/jpeg)
Image attached is rslight without frames.

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 11:34 UTC
My testing with leafnode is working perfectly.

I think it's safe to say that rslight can run fast and well with a leafnode backend, and also this allows you to change news servers without having an issue with article number changes.

So basically, it's a very simple way to run a lightweight node and not be dependent on one particular news server (you can change to another or use multiple if you wish).

One more way to keep a node alive even if their upstream server goes away.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 07:48 UTC
Retro Guy wrote:

While leafnode is working great, I'm still considering just building it all into rslight. Since I've merged spoolnews into the code, it's actually ready to have all articles available immediately now, I just need to add local posting (then it posts to the server behind the scenes).

I was missing some messages when using leafnode and found it necessary to change:

## Here we have another news server which has a very slow connection. For
## that reason, we wait a full minute before we give up trying to connect.
## The default is 10 seconds.
# server = really.slow.example.org
timeout = 60

This is because I'm connecting via i2p and apparently it was timing out. Once I increased the timeout, so far it's working great.

Retro Guy

Subject: rslight as nntp server
From: AnonUser@rslight.i2p (AnonUser) (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 11:55 UTC
The built in nntp server for rslight is coming along nicely. Still plenty more work to do, but it's getting there. At some point, I hope that rslight sites can talk to eachother as client/server, without the need for leafnode or inn or whatever in between.

Below is a connection example. The 'server' is simply an rslight install: --------------------------------
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

200 Rocksolid Light NNTP Server ready (no posting)
list
215 Newsgroups in form "group high low status"
rocksolid.nodes 195 159 n
rocksolid.nodes.help 52 30 n
rocksolid.nodes.announce 56 47 n
rocksolid.shared.encryption 36 36 n
rocksolid.shared.entertainment 88 76 n
rocksolid.shared.freenet 10 10 n
rocksolid.shared.general 139 112 n
rocksolid.shared.hacking 140 115 n
rocksolid.shared.helpdesk 71 57 n
rocksolid.shared.i2p 187 162 n
rocksolid.shared.linux 61 56 n
rocksolid.shared.news 127 101 n
rocksolid.shared.offtopic 151 129 n
rocksolid.programming 40 37 n
rocksolid.shared.rocksolid 251 171 n
rocksolid.shared.security 107 91 n
rocksolid.social 3 3 n
rocksolid.shared.test 844 784 n
rocksolid.shared.tor 103 93 n
..
group rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
211 81 171 251 rocksolid.shared.rocksolid group selected
article 250
220 250 <a45b5638e1160ae6ea8727719e109c90@def4> article retrieved - head and body follow
From: anon <anon@anon.com>
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Subject: Re: ffvm torrent released
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 20:45:29+0000

well, yes, that is correct.the software shared in this torrent is outdated and should not be used anymore.
any new node admin is advised to use rslight (*) or fudforum (in case you like adventures and enjoy hacking around in php code).
a vm with a preinstalled debian and inn2 could be shared as well on request. let us know.

cheers

trw

*
http://dkzerogt6z6ybhcj.onion/getrslight
http://rslight.i2p/getrslight
http://news.novabbs.com/getrslight Posted on def4
..
quit
205 closing connection - goodbye!                                                                                     Connection closed by foreign host.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

1