Subject: rslight with leafnode
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 22:24 GMT
I'm currently running a test site with rslight using leafnode as a news server. The leafnode install is default, just configure the server to connect to, and this is working fine.

If running rslight and using a remote server via i2p or tor, this makes it very fast, since the connections to the remote server are done behind the scenes and the loading of articles is not delayed. So far so good!

Also, I'm currently working on the css for a site with no frames. This is just a toggle in the config, ($frames_on="true/false";) For anyone who prefers a non-framed site, and there are many reasons to, it's coming along nicely.

This will be in the next version release.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Subject: Re: rslight with leafnode
From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 23:38 GMT

this is exciting news. leafnode will make everything lighter compared to inn2.
how many groups does leafnode handle atm on your end ?

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 23:21 GMT
anon wrote:

this is exciting news. leafnode will make everything lighter compared to inn2.
how many groups does leafnode handle atm on your end ?

Right now I'm just using rocksolid.*, but leafnode will just pull groups you use, so whatever you set up in rslight (groups.txt) will be used. There is no need to set up or connect all groups available on the server, so I don't think number of groups is an issue. rslight really only likes about 30-40 groups in one instance or it becomes a bit slow anyway.

I just added a new group to my test site in rslight, and it pulled the articles and they're available just fine.

While leafnode is working great, I'm still considering just building it all into rslight. Since I've merged spoolnews into the code, it's actually ready to have all articles available immediately now, I just need to add local posting (then it posts to the server behind the scenes).

Retro Guy

--
Posted on RetroBBS
www.rocksolidbbs.com

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 03:50 GMT
Attachments: rslight.jpg (image/jpeg)
Image attached is rslight without frames.

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 09:00 GMT
I've applied the latest rslight changes to rslight.i2p (and the tor and clearnet addresses), but not to retrobbs.i2p yet.

I'm still making changes, but this will allow me more testing than I can do with just a local install. So far it's ok. I will probably at some point just drop the framed version as it's not necessary, and frames are not a great way to build a site anyway.

Without the frames, almost all javascript is not used. The only place js remains is to apply quoting to the reply box when replying to a message. The other two places where js was used are no longer necessary without frames. At some point I'll remove the last remaining js, but not now.

There are quite a few major code changes behind the scenes, not related to the css and non-framing of the site. 'overview' is completely merged into spoolnews, and spoolnews is about 60% fully tied into rslight now. It's become part of the code. For overboard and search to work, it's required, and it also speeds the site up tremendously. Next changes are to reduce some disk usage, but I want to monitor bugs for a few days first.

Testing with Leafnode runs very well, except it doesn't seem to carry over group descriptions. It might just be a default config setting in leafnode, or something difficult. I'll look into that in a week or two.

For now I'll let it run on rslight.i2p, and continue working on the local version as I have time. I'll release a next version after a period of solid testing.

Yes, I know comp.lang.python disappeared and no, I don't know why. I didn't remove it. I'll take a look over the next few days. Generally, if there is a problem with a group in the groups.txt list, it is not displayed, which is what's happening so I'll take a look. Current changes have not caused this, as retrobbs.i2p also is not displaying the group.

Time for some rl now...

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 21:36 GMT

Great job on the layout, really. Soon as I will have some time again, this will go on def2 (don't know when that will be though...). But really great.

Two questions:

1) what is really so bad about frames ? I just don't get it.
2) how do you mean rslight can only handle up to 40 groups or so ? Don't you have a lot more on your nodes ?

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:24 GMT
anon wrote:

Great job on the layout, really. Soon as I will have some time again, this will go on def2 (don't know when that will be though...). But really great.

Thanks! It took some time to create the 'newsgroups' page from just the simple list on the framed site. It needed more data than just a place to click. I'm still working on it, but it's looking pretty good :)

Two questions:

1) what is really so bad about frames ? I just don't get it.

It's really useability. Framed sites can react in ways that some (or a lot) of users don't expect, like:

bookmarking, and copy-and-pasting URLs to share don't work properly.

printing the page as displayed on the screen can be strange.

reloading the page: since the URL has generally not changed, you will often be taken back to the site's homepage or default frameset; manually reloading some frames is possible, but not obvious to the user

back and forward buttons are ambiguous: undo/redo the last frame change, or take you to the last time the URL bar changed?

Some of those I resolved by using javascript, but I'd prefer not to. Also, it's irritating in rslight if you come in by a link to a group like comp.lang.python, but the groups on the left are rocksolid groups. It can be confusing.

In addition to all that, there are some who seem to things framed sites are dangerous. There are things that can be done in frames, like linking to other sites, but if a site wants to cause you trouble, they don't need to do it with frames. But some users have a fear of such sites.

2) how do you mean rslight can only handle up to 40 groups or so ? Don't you have a lot more on your nodes ?

That was true until recently. It had to do with refreshing the group list where it would time out if there were too many groups, and also take a looooooong time. Now I refresh in the background so the user never sees a delay.

Realize also that each link on the top of rslight is another instance of rslight. 'rocksolid' 'arts' 'interests' etc are all separate instances. That was necessary for listing groups reasonably on the framed version (and the timeout issues), but in the current version without frames, it should no longer be necessary. I plan to set up my test site with a bunch of groups and see what happens :)

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 11:43 GMT
Retro Guy wrote:

anon wrote:

2) how do you mean rslight can only handle up to 40 groups or so ? Don't you have a lot more on your nodes ?

That was true until recently. It had to do with refreshing the group list where it would time out if there were too many groups, and also take a looooooong time. Now I refresh in the background so the user never sees a delay.

Currently running an instance on my test site with 257 groups. So far it's working just fine.

The .b32 address I posted recently for the test site has 'all', which is a bunch of groups in one instance, and 'leafnode', which is an instance that is connected to leafnode, which is conneted to an inn server via i2p.

Both seem to be working just fine so far.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei) (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 17:07 GMT
I hated the frames for a while but then when I got used to them the cruel dictator Retro Guy took them away! Now it's an extra page load or branching out tabs into groups and posts :( Navigation also feels somewhat less clear now, more constrained to a narrower view that connects only to the top level. Something like that.

I guess it couldn't just keep getting purely better forever. Eventually it would have overflowed and become pure garbage, then be sold to a government because they love shitty software. Worse, I would run out of things to complain about!

Speaking of complaining, some groups are showing up twice.
comp.emulators.apple2
comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot

Those are the only ones I notice. I bet the duplicates were living under those frames and Retro Guy threw away their homes!
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 23:30 GMT
Mei wrote:

I hated the frames for a while but then when I got used to them the cruel dictator Retro Guy took them away! Now it's an extra page load or branching out tabs into groups and posts :(

Are links opening in new tabs? They shouldn't be doing that, they don't for me.

Navigation also feels somewhat less clear now, more constrained to a narrower view that connects only to the top level. Something like that.

Near the top left below the header there should be a way to go back one level, like:
rocksolid / rocksolid.nodes / rslight with leafnode
with links to go back to the group, or main page.

I guess it couldn't just keep getting purely better forever. Eventually it would have overflowed and become pure garbage, then be sold to a government because they love shitty software. Worse, I would run out of things to complain about!

Overflowed is what it was becoming :) and I really hated the groups list on the left. What I disliked the most was you can't easily refresh with frames, and your browser's history just shows 'Rocksolid Light' for every page you've visited, which makes it kind of hard to go back and find something. Making incoming links work was a nightmare, and required javascript.

I really hope to clean up the non-framed site and make it work as nicely as the framed site, without all the problems associated with the frames.

Speaking of complaining, some groups are showing up twice.
comp.emulators.apple2
comp.graphics.apps.gnuplot

Fixed. Someone (Retro Guy), had those groups listed twice in the groups list. The duplicates should disappear once the list refreshes (automatically every few hours).

Those are the only ones I notice. I bet the duplicates were living under those frames and Retro Guy threw away their homes!

Ok I admit it, they begged for their frames back, but I was cruel!

Thanks for the input, I need feedback good or bad so I can hopefully make it work in a useful way!

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com