Subject: Re: i2pn2 spool size
From: admin@neodome.net (Neodome Admin)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 08:20 UTC
Retro Guy <retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-zn5-this> wrote:
  To: Neodome Admin
Neodome Admin wrote:

Retro Guy <retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-lpj-this> wrote:
On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 13:02:39 +0000
"anon" <anon@anon.com> wrote:

this change is something you have to do when creating the partition,
right ? so you need to create a new one, and then move the spool to
it ?

Exactly.

can you list what you have been doing, exactly ?

i2pn2 has been running out of inodes, while bytes availble is high
(many GBs) This is due to the small size of news articles just wasting
inodes.

I created a new partition not much bigger than the original, but with
more available inodes. The new partition 20% larger than the old, but
has 500% more inodes available.

Perhaps ZFS might be better solution? No issues with inodes on ZFS.

I've used ZFS before and really like the ability to add partitions, etc.
to the filesystem. That's a good idea. I'm planning to expand a backup
machine local to me soon and may use ZFS.

If you don't mind me asking, what fs do you prefer for news spools
yourself, are you using ZFS?

Retro Guy

Yes, I’m running FreeBSD on ZFS. However, filesystem choice currently does
not affect my setup that much because I’m using CNFS buffers for spool
storage. However, I know some admins are using tradspool on ZFS to archive
text newsgroups and they have no issues even with very large quantities of
articles.

I always used CNFS buffers because previously I had limited space and
didn’t want to run out of it. When I moved server to bigger machine I kept
same setup because I was planning to play with some large databases and
wasn’t sure how much storage I would need for that. I think I have about 50
GBs for text groups, which gives me several months of retention.

--
Neodome

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2019 01:58 UTC
Neodome Admin wrote:

[...]

When I started using inn, I didn't realize there were options other than tradspool, so that's how it ran. I've been reading a bit about CNFS just to learn and it looks good.

Checking the change to increasing inodes, I see now that 5 months of text groups is using 23% of disk space, but only 12% of inodes. So it looks like space will now be the limitation, not inodes.

Still, ZFS makes it so easy to add space, I still need to consider it.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

1