Operator, please trace this call and tell me where I am.

rocksolid / Offtopic / Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

SubjectAuthor
* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkerstrw
+* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkerstrw
|`* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersGuest
| `- A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkerstrw
+* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersAnonUser
|`* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkerstrw
| `* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers<Mei
|  +- A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkerstrw
|  `* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers<Mei
|   `* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersRetro Guy
|    `* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersMei
|     +- A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersanonymous
|     `* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersRetro Guy
|      +* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersMei
|      |`* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersRetro Guy
|      | `* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersanonymous
|      |  `* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersRetro Guy
|      |   `- A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkerstrw
|      `* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersRetro Guy
|       `- A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersMei
+- A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkerstrw
`- A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersA

1
A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<ea0599a2ea26e0a5e6f1e453be14eaaa@def4>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=68&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#68

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Subject: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 22:24:52+0000
 by: trw - Fri, 26 Jul 2019 22:24 UTC

I think about refurbishing def3 and/or def4. Before I do this, I would like to know:

-what user interface do you prefer (what node you use mostly) ?
-why ?
-what are the features you would like to see ?
-what is the stuff that is not working, or not working well ?

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<eca603902886640b5a5f67ddf6846904@def4>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=69&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#69

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 10:20:19+0000
 by: trw - Mon, 29 Jul 2019 10:20 UTC

bump this to get users attention.

guess a lot of traffic is just coming from bots.

Posted on def4

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<qi7vpn$hs$1@def5.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=74&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#74

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2019 21:09:41 -0400
 by: Guest - Mon, 5 Aug 2019 01:09 UTC

I would like a section for joining i2p families. You post and up to 10 downloads of certificates/keys for 24 hours.
Posted on: def3.i2p

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<704ee0d7bc21a7442937d22fd7c33120@def4>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=75&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#75

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 20:48:29+0000
 by: trw - Mon, 5 Aug 2019 20:48 UTC

>I would like a section for joining i2p families. You post and up to 10 downloads of certificates/keys for 24 hours.

Thanks for your feedback. You are talking about router families, I assume ? I just don't get what you want the section to do or to provide.

Posted on def4

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<c2b2052ca0f2c8403f476db648a0a392$1@retrobbs.i2p>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=76&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#76

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-f22-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 14:57:21 +0000
To: trw
 by: AnonUser - Thu, 15 Aug 2019 14:57 UTC

To: trw
-what user interface do you prefer (what node you use mostly) ?
-why ?
Don't tell the def people but retrobbs is most convenient for me :P
Actually I see def2 is like that but better. Weird color choice.

I like the hierarchical organization and dark theme of def3 though it's
hard to line up the left parts with the info on the right (topic, post
date) and sometimes the colors make things unreadable (message navigator
items, >quotes)

I like the listing of recent posts on def4 though it took me a while to
understand at all what's going on there. Okay, it's kind of horrible but I
like having an easy view of what's new.

-what are the features you would like to see ?
Easy viewing of what's new (maybe just a page listing posts in order but
not only today's? I don't know what would work best for that)
Easy viewing
Easy reading the presented information
I guess I want are def3's message navigator and a nice dark theme on
def2's framed, clear, table-style layout. Oh, and search. Actually, a
framed and tabled version of def3 with some color tweaks would be great.

-what is the stuff that is not working, or not working well ?
def4 is confusing at first and does something weird mashing posts into
little boxes
def3 has some small but confusing layout issues and the color scheme
sometimes hurts

Sorry if this isn't very interesting or useful. I'm new here but felt bad
that there weren't many responses so I thought I'd have a try at it :)
--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<qj3v6u$gml$1@def5.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=77&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#77

From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 11:50:56 -0400
 by: trw - Thu, 15 Aug 2019 15:50 UTC

Thanks for your answer. Btw, I am "the def people", meaning the admin of def2,def3 and def4.

I plan to move away from the software currently running on def3 (and maybe def4), and your post is encouraging me in
this....

The software I target has most of the features you were mentioning, I believe, most of all easy navigation and an
overboard.

cheers

trw
Posted on: def3.i2p

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<qjoivq$oa9$1@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=78&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#78

From: <Mei@none.i2p>
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 11:34:18 +0000
 by: <Mei@none.i2p> - Fri, 23 Aug 2019 11:34 UTC

I really started liking that def4 post feed, though I think that will stop being an issue if I ever get around to setting up a newsreader.

What's the story with different forums being offered by each node?

Also I'm sorry I betrayed you and def by signing up with novaBBS for a silly videogames forum. I hope I can earn your forgiveness in time :p

(Also the "the def people" was a joke about not telling yourself what I was telling you ;) I am a silly and make silly jokes.)

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<5b273e47fb352ca734754a3bfe43bbf9@def4>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=80&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#80

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:22:18+0000
 by: trw - Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:22 UTC

>I really started liking that def4 post feed, though I think
>that will stop being an issue if I ever get around to setting
>up a newsreader.

Yes, if you use a newsreader, you have access to all the groups hosted it (which is a lot more than is shown on any single node).

>What's the story with different forums being offered by each
>node?

Well, the only groups that are shown by all nodes host are those of the rocksolid/shared hierarchy.
All the other groups are specific to each node, based on personal flavor and administration effort.
It would be tempting to set up a node that shows all available groups, but currently only on rslight this is possible with reasonable effort (although Retro Guy has made a huge effort on novabbs, but even this is still far from complete).

>Also I'm sorry I betrayed you and def by signing up with
>novaBBS for a silly videogames forum. I hope I can earn your
>forgiveness in time :p

Not at all. These are federated forums, and it does not really matter from where you access them. Its sort of the idea behind this project.

Btw, changing software on my node(s) will not mean that I drop any groups.

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<59008ea74abaabb10ad7fbeeb4a1e3ff@def4>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=81&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#81

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:26:50+0000
 by: trw - Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:26 UTC

>Yes, if you use a newsreader, you have access to all the groups hosted it (which is a lot more than is shown on any single node).

I meant of course hosted by the news server.

Posted on def4

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<qjopg1$pdr$1@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=82&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#82

From: <Mei@none.i2p>
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:25:21 +0000
 by: <Mei@none.i2p> - Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:25 UTC

Edit: (set up a newsreader) or get used to user features like forum subscription and "new since you were last here" indicators.

I'm still looking around to see what's good, what's interesting, how things work, and what things work :) Maybe I'll like the new elephants. Maybe I'll have to use multiple nodes.

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<4819e8060f1b10d768250507aa28cad4$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=85&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#85

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 09:01:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 25 Aug 2019 09:01 UTC

<Mei@none.i2p> wrote:

> Edit: (set up a newsreader) or get used to user features like forum
subscription and "new since you were last here" indicators.

> I'm still looking around to see what's good, what's interesting, how things
work, and what things work :) Maybe I'll like the new elephants. Maybe I'll
have to use multiple nodes.

As trw (def) already mentioned, feel free to use any node you like.
They're different in their presentation and in content, but all the sites
carry the Rocksolid.* hierarchy.

If you want to use a newsreader, please do. If you have any trouble just
let us know and we'll try to help.

I (we) have access to all Usenet text groups, so if there is a group you'd
like to see on any of the sites that isn't already there, just ask. I can
add to novaBBS, rslight and retrobbs, and I'm sure if you ask trw it will
certainly be considered. All groups are available to the def side of
things.

Nice to see you here, have fun, and if you have questions or comments
we're here most of the time.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<1e64ddce2cae9713b6365106f97f12db$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=86&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#86

From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 02:19:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mei - Tue, 27 Aug 2019 02:19 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:
> As trw (def) already mentioned, feel free to use any node you like.
> They're different in their presentation and in content, but all the sites
> carry the Rocksolid.* hierarchy.
Thanks. Between my own connection problems and whatever is happening to
seemingly all of the Rocksolid nodes it looks like I'll just have to use
whichever I can get to at the moment :P

> If you want to use a newsreader, please do. If you have any trouble just
> let us know and we'll try to help.
I don't actually know which one(s) I can use over I2P. I was hoping for
something graphical that I wouldn't have to learn the thing to use it but
that seems to be not a thing. Maybe I'll look at some TUI ones anyway or
just make my own. Could be fun.
Scratch that, I don't know what I was thinking. It's not like I need a
special I2P newsreader or something (facepalm)
Except one that works, unlike pan. Project idea still on the table! Or the
stove, I guess.

> I (we) have access to all Usenet text groups, so if there is a group you'd
> like to see on any of the sites that isn't already there, just ask. I can
> add to novaBBS, rslight and retrobbs, and I'm sure if you ask trw it will
> certainly be considered. All groups are available to the def side of
> things.
Now that's risky! All these groups to choose from... ;P I suppose nova
(Nova? Aahh why did you lowercase its name :P) would be where I would hope
to get to additional groups. As for which ones I'd be interested in...
Oh, it turns out I can look at them via Google Groups. Usenet is a
desiccated old corpse of a thing, isn't it? If only you could resurrect
some groups; they're all so dusty and dead but for spam.
Also there are more than few of them. It may take a while to look through
them. Is there a list of groups that have had activity within the last few
months?
So far I see:
*comp.lang.haskell (Okay, it's pretty dead but I want to ask "Can
Haskell... revive a Usenet group?" :P Of course if it can I would tr==be
interested in participating)
*comp.programming.contests looks like it's been dead for ages but may be
brought back discussing some of the many challenge/contest sites around
now (SPOJ, Codewars, Project Euler, etc.) if that's appropriate there.
Probably not but I can dream :P
*comp.lang.functional
*rec.humor
*alt.humor.puns
*rec.humor.oracle
*Some of the other comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* groups seem relatively
not-dead, namely .adventure, .strategic, and somewhat .rpg

What the hell happened to alt.languages.*?! Some kinda weird religious
bomb went off in there. Anyway, I've only got a small infinity of groups
left to look through but I'd like to post this some time this month and
still have time to look at something other than Usenet groups @.@
Are they all accessible via direct access (newsreader)? All aleph-whatever
Usenet groups empty but for spam and the dozen or so with people in them?
:P

> Nice to see you here, have fun, and if you have questions or comments
> we're here most of the time.
Thanks! :3 We'll see about this "fun" thing.
I'll also see about not dragging out one post over the course of days.
Sorry for the messy post.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<6554ba55e210d7db44235a62258c9acb$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=87&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#87

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 07:09:57 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="15460"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
 by: anonymous - Tue, 27 Aug 2019 07:09 UTC

I will check the groups you have named, probably on the weekend, and might
display them on def4 (dead groups will not be displayed, though).

Not sure if googlegroups display the rocksolid.* hierarchy, but you can
get them on some "normal" newsservers as well (check neodome, for example).

As for newsreaders: what's wrong with Thunderbird ? Used that one to test
the servers all the time, works well...

See you around

trw
Posted on def2

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<20190827014142.26841095@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=88&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#88

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 01:41:42 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 27 Aug 2019 08:41 UTC

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 02:19:11 -0000 (UTC)
Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei) wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:
> > As trw (def) already mentioned, feel free to use any node you like.
> > They're different in their presentation and in content, but all the
> > sites carry the Rocksolid.* hierarchy.
> Thanks. Between my own connection problems and whatever is happening
> to seemingly all of the Rocksolid nodes it looks like I'll just have
> to use whichever I can get to at the moment :P
>
> > If you want to use a newsreader, please do. If you have any trouble
> > just let us know and we'll try to help.
> I don't actually know which one(s) I can use over I2P. I was hoping
> for something graphical that I wouldn't have to learn the thing to
> use it but that seems to be not a thing. Maybe I'll look at some TUI
> ones anyway or just make my own. Could be fun.
> Scratch that, I don't know what I was thinking. It's not like I need
> a special I2P newsreader or something (facepalm)

As trw mentioned, Thunderbird works fine. Any newsreader should be able
to be used, even Pan :)

> > I (we) have access to all Usenet text groups, so if there is a
> > group you'd like to see on any of the sites that isn't already
> > there, just ask. I can add to novaBBS, rslight and retrobbs, and
> > I'm sure if you ask trw it will certainly be considered. All groups
> > are available to the def side of things.
> Now that's risky! All these groups to choose from... ;P I suppose
> nova (Nova? Aahh why did you lowercase its name :P) would be where I
> would hope to get to additional groups. As for which ones I'd be
> interested in... Oh, it turns out I can look at them via Google
> Groups. Usenet is a desiccated old corpse of a thing, isn't it? If
> only you could resurrect some groups; they're all so dusty and dead
> but for spam. Also there are more than few of them. It may take a
> while to look through them. Is there a list of groups that have had
> activity within the last few months?

Most of the groups on novabbs.i2p (www.novabbs.com) are groups that I
have checked that are reasonable to use (active and spam isn't too
bad). I'm sure a few aren't so great, but I did check them before
adding them. Feel free to browse through on that site and ask if you
want any of those groups added to rslight or another rocksolid site.

> So far I see:
> *comp.lang.haskell (Okay, it's pretty dead but I want to ask "Can
> Haskell... revive a Usenet group?" :P Of course if it can I would
> tr==be interested in participating)
> *comp.programming.contests looks like it's been dead for ages but may
> be brought back discussing some of the many challenge/contest sites
> around now (SPOJ, Codewars, Project Euler, etc.) if that's
> appropriate there. Probably not but I can dream :P
> *comp.lang.functional
> *rec.humor
> *alt.humor.puns
> *rec.humor.oracle
> *Some of the other comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* groups seem relatively
> not-dead, namely .adventure, .strategic, and somewhat .rpg

I've just added the above on rslight.i2p (news.novabbs.com), and will
add to novabbs.i2p (www.novabbs.com) soon.

The two rec.* groups seem to be all spam. If I'm wrong and you'd still
like to see them on either site, just let me know. Of course they're
all available with a newsreader at any time.

> > Nice to see you here, have fun, and if you have questions or
> > comments we're here most of the time.
> Thanks! :3 We'll see about this "fun" thing.
> I'll also see about not dragging out one post over the course of
> days. Sorry for the messy post.

The "fun" part is mandatory! :)

Retro Guy

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<d18b8cbdee33bfafab261051e881686b$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=90&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#90

From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 14:38:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mei - Tue, 27 Aug 2019 14:38 UTC

I've started a new thread to continue my offtopic babblings. It looks like
I've already derailed this one a lot :- Sorry about that.

So! How do people feel about def nodes? I like the "Latest from Rocksolid"
thing def4 has, the easy on the eyes theme of def3, and the super clear
layout of def2. I'm sure it would be appreciated if even one of you
million lurkers (popular place, according to the official def statistics
in the thread subject!) wanted to pipe up ;P
As for the posters, don't just hang there on the walls! Join in :D
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<20190829011536.57da468d@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=92&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#92

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 01:15:36 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 29 Aug 2019 08:15 UTC

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 14:38:19 -0000 (UTC)
Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei) wrote:

> I've started a new thread to continue my offtopic babblings. It looks
> like I've already derailed this one a lot :- Sorry about that.
>
> So! How do people feel about def nodes? I like the "Latest from
> Rocksolid" thing def4 has, the easy on the eyes theme of def3, and
> the super clear layout of def2. I'm sure it would be appreciated if
> even one of you million lurkers (popular place, according to the
> official def statistics in the thread subject!) wanted to pipe up ;P
> As for the posters, don't just hang there on the walls! Join in :D

I like the def statistics. I don't know from where they're derived, but
1 Mio is a nice number!

Retro Guy

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<20190829154031.5d1b6b72@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=93&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#93

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 15:40:31 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 29 Aug 2019 22:40 UTC

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 01:41:42 -0700
Retro Guy <retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 02:19:11 -0000 (UTC)
> Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei) wrote:
>
> > Retro Guy wrote:

> > > If you want to use a newsreader, please do. If you have any
> > > trouble just let us know and we'll try to help.
> > I don't actually know which one(s) I can use over I2P. I was hoping
> > for something graphical that I wouldn't have to learn the thing to
> > use it but that seems to be not a thing. Maybe I'll look at some TUI
> > ones anyway or just make my own. Could be fun.
> > Scratch that, I don't know what I was thinking. It's not like I need
> > a special I2P newsreader or something (facepalm)
>
> As trw mentioned, Thunderbird works fine. Any newsreader should be
> able to be used, even Pan :)

Another one I use regularly is Claws Mail. It's really not a bad
newsreader at all. If you look at the headers of a lot of my posts
(including this one), it's sent with claws mail.

Retro Guy

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<eeecaefc97ff812241d0581e9b29f39c$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=94&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#94

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 23:16:19 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="2028"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
 by: anonymous - Thu, 29 Aug 2019 23:16 UTC

>I like the def statistics. I don't know from where they're derived, but
>1 Mio is a nice number!

These are not meant literally, more like a figure of speech (to indicate
like "a lot"). :-)
Posted on def2

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<cfefc901ddb5d17c366451528da76e81$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=95&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#95

From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 00:05:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mei - Fri, 30 Aug 2019 00:05 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 01:41:42 -0700
> Retro Guy <retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 02:19:11 -0000 (UTC)
>> Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei) wrote:

>> > I don't actually know which one(s) I can use over I2P. I was hoping
>> > for something graphical that I wouldn't have to learn the thing to
>> > use it but that seems to be not a thing. Maybe I'll look at some TUI
>> > ones anyway or just make my own. Could be fun.
>> > Scratch that, I don't know what I was thinking. It's not like I need
>> > a special I2P newsreader or something (facepalm)
>>
>> As trw mentioned, Thunderbird works fine. Any newsreader should be
>> able to be used, even Pan :)

> Another one I use regularly is Claws Mail. It's really not a bad
> newsreader at all. If you look at the headers of a lot of my posts
> (including this one), it's sent with claws mail.

> Retro Guy
Nice, thanks. I may still have a go at making my own for fun.
How hard could it be? :P
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<20190829182542.5401b6cb@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=96&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#96

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 18:25:42 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 30 Aug 2019 01:25 UTC

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 23:16:19 -0000 (UTC)
anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous) wrote:

> >I like the def statistics. I don't know from where they're derived,
> >but 1 Mio is a nice number!
>
> These are not meant literally, more like a figure of speech (to
> indicate like "a lot"). :-)
> Posted on def2

I do realize that, I just like the number :)

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<fd0c390ac843cb2f26fc2497e89733df@def4>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=97&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#97

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2019 20:57:34+0000
 by: trw - Sat, 31 Aug 2019 20:57 UTC

>I do realize that, I just like the number :)

talking about some real numbers: def4 had ca. 160k requests on average per month, during the last 4 months.
assuming that a single user does account for more than 100 hits per month, def4 should have about 1600 lurkers. one uncertainty in this is the unknown number of requests from bots.
further assuming that all other nodes have at least similar stats, we could predict that the whole of rocksolid has about 10k lurkers...so not 1 million....but working on it...lol

Posted on def4

Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

<r116j3$n0p$2@neodome.net>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=139&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#139

From: me@usenet.invalid (A)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 12:29:23 +0000
 by: A - Fri, 31 Jan 2020 12:29 UTC

On 2019-07-26 23:24, trw wrote:

> I think about refurbishing def3 and/or def4. Before I do this, I would like to know:
>
> -what user interface do you prefer (what node you use mostly) ?
> -why ?
> -what are the features you would like to see ?
> -what is the stuff that is not working, or not working well ?

the landing page is a joke.

I would like to run a node with bash-only as well but cannot find the def4-source-code, or however the name is of the project.

on def4 there seems to be no threading.