Gary Hart: living proof that you *can* screw your brains out.

rocksolid / Helpdesk / Re: wanna run def4.sh

SubjectAuthor
* wanna run def4.shAnonUser
+* wanna run def4.shRetro Guy
|`* wanna run def4.shA
| `* bbsYY
|  `* bbsanon
|   `- bbsAnonUser
`* wanna run def4.shanon
 `* wanna run def4.shRetro Guy
  `* wanna run def4.shanon
   `- wanna run def4.shanon

1
wanna run def4.sh

<8bd75b5c32f7941e0af317ed6ac32a50$1@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=59&group=rocksolid.shared.helpdesk#59

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-u1k-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Subject: wanna run def4.sh
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 11:13:51 +0000
To: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
 by: AnonUser - Fri, 31 Jan 2020 11:13 UTC

To: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk

where do I find the bash proggy for rocksolid?
--
Posted on RetroBBS
www.rocksolidbbs.com

Re: wanna run def4.sh

<c1fd10728e6a042f2ad2d328542c70a3$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=60&group=rocksolid.shared.helpdesk#60

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Subject: Re: wanna run def4.sh
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 11:37:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 31 Jan 2020 11:37 UTC

AnonUser wrote:

> To: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk

> where do I find the bash proggy for rocksolid?

Wait for a reply from trw when he's available. He's the author.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: wanna run def4.sh

<r1169k$n0p$1@neodome.net>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=61&group=rocksolid.shared.helpdesk#61

From: me@usenet.invalid (A)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 12:24:19 +0000
 by: A - Fri, 31 Jan 2020 12:24 UTC

On 2020-01-31 11:37, Retro Guy wrote:
> AnonUser wrote:
>
>>   To: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
>
>> where do I find the bash proggy for rocksolid?
>
> Wait for a reply from trw when he's available. He's the author.

did they not write that a combination of "bbs" with the def4-bash-script makes little sense since development was halted?

being a bash script, the server will have load and scaling issues so it is for very light use only.

caddy-server can serve rsLight better

bbs

<r119i5$3jr$1@novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=62&group=rocksolid.shared.helpdesk#62

From: yyy@novabbs.i2p.lan (YY)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Subject: bbs
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 13:20:05 +0000
 by: YY - Fri, 31 Jan 2020 13:20 UTC

what do they mean "bbS" ?

the speak in riddles in order to sound smart.

Re: bbs

<ebed219c27373cf4d6c7252dcfd4d203@def4>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=63&group=rocksolid.shared.helpdesk#63

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Subject: Re: bbs
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 06:05:36+0000
 by: anon - Wed, 5 Feb 2020 06:05 UTC

bbs is the name i gave to the bash script that powers this node (def4). and if you absolutely want to have it, i will upload it (or a cleaned up version of it) somewhere, no problem (during this or next weekend).
scaling is not so bad actually, at least if we talk about number of requests/users. the issue is number of groups, there is a limit of what this script can do due to the way new messages are checked.
be aware that in order to run a node with bbs, you will need to run inn2 as well (or another news server), on the same machine as bbs.
the reason why bbs is not developed anymore is simply that bash is the wrong tool for the job. php, python, nodejs or go would be examples of how to do it right (but alas, I was young and naive when I wrote bbs :-}, and also i just wanted to try it).

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: bbs

<7fd360ec81704b963dc2e60ba0b85cdc$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=64&group=rocksolid.shared.helpdesk#64

From: AnonUser@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 09:06:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AnonUser - Wed, 5 Feb 2020 09:06 UTC

anon wrote:

> bbs is the name i gave to the bash script that powers this node (def4). and if you absolutely want to have it, i will upload it (or a cleaned up version of it) somewhere, no problem (during this or next weekend).
> scaling is not so bad actually, at least if we talk about number of requests/users. the issue is number of groups, there is a limit of what this script can do due to the way new messages are checked.
> be aware that in order to run a node with bbs, you will need to run inn2 as well (or another news server), on the same machine as bbs.
> the reason why bbs is not developed anymore is simply that bash is the wrong tool for the job. php, python, nodejs or go would be examples of how to do it right (but alas, I was young and naive when I wrote bbs :-}, and also i just wanted to try it).

It's a pretty impressive bash script!

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

Re: wanna run def4.sh

<262c1bfb42a1520b04b0db6a4da59d21@def4>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=75&group=rocksolid.shared.helpdesk#75

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 15:46:47+0000
 by: anon - Sun, 29 Mar 2020 15:46 UTC

reposting here, because not sure def3 syncs atm. great, now the css is fixed, but it seems the db is fucked up. it just never stops... or maybe fudforum just needs more attention and a better configuration...
anyway,here is the message:
This was a very long week indeed, my apologies.Thanks to the Covid induced worldwide slowdown, I finally got around to repack the sources of bbs and upload them here:

Filenames: bbs_unofficial_dirty_release.zip
Download link:
http://ana5icnp3au4qy5i.onion/?B8hOVdGmxPbkI1qyttqzOMB6QSh

May the force be with you.

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: wanna run def4.sh

<45838aa93037dd3a900196956505a660$1@nyccgjh5cjapsf7frrhxqw73gb5hxj2ucau72ztn2oenxwetxr5q.b32.i2p>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=76&group=rocksolid.shared.helpdesk#76

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 10:15:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 30 Mar 2020 10:15 UTC

anon wrote:

> reposting here, because not sure def3 syncs atm. great, now the css is fixed, but it seems the db is fucked up. it just never stops... or maybe fudforum just needs more attention and a better configuration...

Just took a look and it looks great, nice to see it back!

I put links on the bottom of my ff site saying it may be replaced by rslight (with links so users can see). Kinda giving a heads up that I'd really like to drop ff myself, but I'm guessing some users would prefer it over rslight.

> anyway,here is the message:
> This was a very long week indeed, my apologies.Thanks to the Covid induced worldwide slowdown, I finally got around to repack the sources of bbs and upload them here:

Will you continue developing bbs? If so, it really does give rocksolid two very different choices for interfaces. I think chan or similar users would really prefer bbs over rslight or ff. One thing I'm considering is breaking the rslight nntp server out of rslight to run stand alone. Would that be of any benefit to bbs? I know you can read the spool fine, and I could work with you on an easy way to post to it (like drop a file in a dir and rslight-nntp just finds it and posts, or similar).

It would be great to see a .tgz containing rslight, bbs and the tiny rslight news server all as one package. Like what we did with the vm, just very scaled down.

Anyway, just some thoughts...

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
nyccgjh5cjapsf7frrhxqw73gb5hxj2ucau72ztn2oenxwetxr5q.b32.i2p

Re: wanna run def4.sh

<caa8f07e39babadbed45f479d362f387@def4>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=77&group=rocksolid.shared.helpdesk#77

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 21:13:31+0000
 by: anon - Mon, 30 Mar 2020 21:13 UTC

> I put links on the bottom of my ff site saying it may be replaced by rslight (with links so users can see). Kinda giving a heads up that I'd really like to drop ff myself, but I'm guessing some users would prefer it over rslight.

yes, that might be so. but if it is, it should be mostly due to the layout/functionality.

>Will you continue developing bbs? If so, it really does give rocksolid two very different choices for interfaces.

Well, bash is just the wrong tool for the job: the effort to maintain the code is disproportional to the results, and the potential to put in new stuff is limited.
Also, it is not a real choice for the new admin, because the easy deployment and maintenance of bbs (these are in fact two strong points) are more than outweighed by the fact that you have to have a news server installed in order to use it.
So no, I am not going to put any more time into this. It was nice while it lasted, and I am going to let it run on def4, but no more development.

> I think chan or similar users would really prefer bbs over rslight or ff.

Yes, some people are attracted by this kind of design (including myself). I would say to achieve this it is way more effective to hack a new css for rslight (or even ff for that matter), than to deploy bbs. Look at the way def3 was transformed by this css genius. Surely this is the easiest way to get the same look and feel as bbs.

> One thing I'm considering is breaking the rslight nntp server out of rslight to run stand alone. Would that be of any benefit to bbs? I know you can read the spool fine, and I could work with you on an easy way to post to it (like drop a file in a dir and rslight-nntp just finds it and posts, or similar). It would be great to see a .tgz containing rslight, bbs and the tiny rslight news server all as one package. Like what we did with the vm, just very scaled down.

yeah, that should work. Still I believe it makes more sense to put the time into something that has less language induced restrictions. But it is a great plan to put that archive together. And if your news server is easier to deploy than inn2 (and what isn't, to be honest :-), that would really ease the whole thing also for bbs.

I am looking forward to your next release.

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: wanna run def4.sh

<944e625bc6dc8c964a73a9d1479fadaa@def4>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=88&group=rocksolid.shared.helpdesk#88

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 13:22:29+0000
 by: anon - Mon, 20 Apr 2020 13:22 UTC

just wondered if the op ever picked up the package ? would be interesting to see if anyone does anything with that (but my guess is not).

Posted on def4