Subject: Postmill thread
From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 18:31 UTC

Collecting all the info needed to install a postmill server:

this is the how-to:
https://gitlab.com/postmill/Postmill/wikis/getting-started

installing postgres solution:
http://acmsrfsbsogtuhvk.onion/bbs/main.sh?Group_id=rocksolid.shared.helpdesk&Msg_id=84&Reply_id=Message-ID:%20%3Ca41f8800ac501fb5ff59f422f054a9af@def4%3E&Showthread=y

installing of suitable versions of yarn and nodejs:

https://tecadmin.net/install-nodejs-with-nvm/
https://tecadmin.net/install-yarn-debian/

working on it...

Posted on def4

Subject: Re: Postmill thread
From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 18:58 UTC

Updating php to 7.2 and installing symfony:
https://medium.com/@shahroznawaz/how-to-setup-symfony-4-on-lamp-based-debian-9-server-6edc31d2009c

Posted on def4

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 19:44 UTC

one things for sure, this is complex, a lot of dependencies and everything....

Posted on def4

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous) (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 11:23 UTC
maybe i should use the docker images....
Posted on def2

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2019 12:03 UTC

great, now i struggle with using docker images from the gitlab repositories (https://gitlab.com/postmill/Postmill/container_registry). this seems to be above my current skill level...

Posted on def4

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2019 22:47 UTC
trw wrote:

great, now i struggle with using docker images from the gitlab repositories
(https://gitlab.com/postmill/Postmill/container_registry). this seems to be above my current skill level...

I'm not a fan of trying to install software that has dependencies on top of dependencies. I've also had trouble with docker in the past. I've found that upgrading a system after installing such software (stuff not in the distro) breaks everything.

Of course some of the software that requires this is pretty cool, lol.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on RetroBBS

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous) (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 09:01 UTC

I'm not a fan of trying to install software that has dependencies on top of dependencies. I've also had trouble with docker in the past. I've found that upgrading a system after installing such software (stuff not in the distro) breaks everything.

That sounds like it would be a pain in the ass to maintain.
But docker or not, pretty much all the modern forum software I looked at (mostly reddit clones), it all has tons of dependencies (usually an increasing number the nicer look and the more features it has).
Looks like it will be easier to do more hacking on ff after all. At least this one is very easy to deploy, stable and customizable. If only I can manipulate the session management so that it works on tor and does not need to work with the local ip addresses. we'll see i guess...

cheers

trw
Posted on def2

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 10:05 UTC

but of course it would need some sort of link to nntp.

for the messages posted on it, there is already an rss interface (http://wakaba.c3.cx/sup/index.rss). i guess that could be used to pipe it to the new server.

Posted on def4

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 11:24 UTC
trw wrote:

but of course it would need some sort of link to nntp.

Just came across this project: http://pessoal.org/papercut/

It's a python project designed specifically to allow a forum to integrate with nntp. I haven't looked closely at it, and I don't know python, but it looks interesting. The author originally designed it to integrate Phorum (http://phorum.org/)

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 22:57 UTC

i looked at papercut at the very beginning of rocksolid, when i could not get inn2 to run (before you created your first vm).
there should even be a thread for this, if it has not disappeared when def.i2p went down.
anyway, i could not get it to run, which is maybe not surprising given the age of code base. with enough time and effort, it could be a nice alternative, though (i'm afraid more time and effort than i can spend atm).
phorum also looks nice (needs some css, i guess).

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Pages:12