I just forgot my whole philosophy of life!!!

rocksolid / Rocksolid Nodes Help / rslight rebuild ?

SubjectAuthor
* rslight rebuild ?anonymous
+* rslight rebuild ?anonymous
|`- rslight rebuild ?Retro Guy
+- rslight rebuild ?Retro Guy
+* rslight rebuild ?Retro Guy
|`* rslight rebuild ?Retro Guy
| `* rslight rebuildanon
|  `* rslight rebuildanon
|   `* rslight rebuildanon
|    `* rslight rebuildRetro Guy
|     `- rslight rebuildanonymous
+- rslight rebuild ?Retro Guy
+- tried that now before i upgradeAnonymous
+* ok, that did the trickAnonymous
|`- ok, that did the trickRetro Guy
+- pulled all the groups again nowAnonymous
+* overboard is backAnonymous
|`* overboard is backRetro Guy
| `- overboard is backRetro Guy
`* overboardAnonymous
 `- overboardRetro Guy

1
rslight rebuild ?

<cca5a337e4b7e66d3f78978298d179ae$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: anonymous@anon.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: rslight rebuild ?
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 14:46 UTC
 by: anonymous - Sun, 24 May 2020 14:46 UTC

is there an option to rebuild all the indeces that rslight uses ? there are some articles that are on the news server, but are not displayed on def2 (although the time of posting is shown under "latest post").

cheers

trw
--
Posted on def2
z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

Re: rslight rebuild ?

<3d17f638e62328d6fc407ddd3f26b19b$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: anonymous@anon.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: rslight rebuild ?
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 18:36 UTC
 by: anonymous - Sun, 24 May 2020 18:36 UTC

and another question: how is rslight handling x-references (so references to different messages that are not related, possibly from different groups) ? i know it is not possible to post like that via the rslight website, but with newsreaders this should be possible to post.

cheers

trw
--
Posted on def2
z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

Re: rslight rebuild ?

<7338ba7b6b8223b532dbd6750b32b5e8$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: retroguy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 18:02:34 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 25 May 2020 01:02 UTC

anonymous wrote:

> is there an option to rebuild all the indeces that rslight uses ? there
> are some articles that are on the news server, but are not displayed on
> def2 (although the time of posting is shown under "latest post").

That's strange, I don't see that issue on any of my sites but it needs to be
fixed.

Before rebuilding, could you please do a bit of troubleshooting, since you
have the issue currently and I don't have the issue to test on?

I think the issue is in offtopic, as there seem to be missing messages there
on def2. If you could let me know if the message is complete in the spool
/var/spool/rslight/articles/rocksolid/shared/offtopic/<messsage_number>

Then, is the listing for the articles correct and complete in
/var/spool/rslight/rocksolid.shared.offtopic-overview. (Note, your overview
will probably show i2pn2 in Xref: and wrong article number. This is fixed in
0.6.5d)

169 the companies have taken over Anonymous <poster@anon.com> Sun,
24 May 2020 07:17:09 -0700 <b.44.4bohll@anon.com> 602256 516

If you telnet to the nntp server, can you retrieve the message?

<Welcome to nntp server>
group rocksolid.shared.offtopic
article <message_number>

Is this only big articles (articles with attachments)?

I'd like to see where the failure is occurring so I can fix it. Then I'd
like to apply to 0.6.5d and send that to you.

Thanks!

Retro Guy

Re: rslight rebuild ?

<0eab2855f2bfa4e9d2a40806b6422bf9$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: retroguy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 18:04:27 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 25 May 2020 01:04 UTC

anonymous wrote:

> and another question: how is rslight handling x-references (so references
> to different messages that are not related, possibly from different
> groups) ? i know it is not possible to post like that via the rslight
> website, but with newsreaders this should be possible to post.

This is from Newsportal, so I'm not entirely sure. Right now, I keep an
individual copy of crossposted messages in each group it's posted in, not a
link like inn does.

I have not fully implemented crossposting in the nntp server to a point
where I believe it works properly, but it does partially work.

Retro Guy

Re: rslight rebuild ?

<a812ede5f3bf5e534707de565c8748d3$1@192.168.0.230>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: Retro Guy@example.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 06:57 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 25 May 2020 06:57 UTC

anonymous wrote:

> is there an option to rebuild all the indeces that rslight uses ? there are some articles that are on the news server, but are not displayed on def2 (although the time of posting is shown under "latest post").

rslight-0.6.5d.tgz is now online for download.

I've applied as an upgrade to rslight.i2p, retrobbs.i2p and two test sites with no issues.

Please try just applying as an upgrade before deleting anything in the spool. Let's see what happens.

This upgrade does not touch /var/www/html/common, so your custom images are ok, but at some point please copy them to /var/www/html/mods/images so they don't get overwritten with a future upgrade. 0.6.5d will check for both there first starting in this version.

To upgrade, download the rslight-0.6.5d.tgz and confirm the sha256sum.

Then extract to a temporary location. Then run ./debian-upgrade.sh as root. Answer the prompts and this will overwrite your .php files in /var/www/html/rocksolid ../spoolnews and /etc/rslight/scripts. It will also place distribution config files in /etc/rslight/*.dist. Your existing config files will not be overwritten.

Check the bottom of /etc/rslight/rslight.inc.php.dist for new config options to add to your config file, and add them as needed.

Next, kill the nntp server:
ps aux | grep nntp
www 14603 57.0 2.3 34536 23664 - R 23:47 3:00.66 php /etc/rslight/scripts/nntp.php
kill 14603

then verify it actually died. I still need to make this easier in a future release.

Once you are sure it died, let it restart on next cron.php run and let's see if you pick up messages that you are missing. Over i2p it will take a little time to check and pull articles, so give it 30 minutes or more before thinking it didn't work. You can monitor /var/spool/rslight/log/spoolnews.log and hopefully see a lot of lines showing up saying "Duplicate..." until it catches up. That's not an error, it just means you already have the message.

Let's hope this helps!

If not, it is always ok to completely delete everything in /var/spool/rslight (except the directory tself), and allow the entire spool to rebuild. This would be the next step if upgrade doesn't work.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Unconfigured rslight site
192.168.0.230

Re: rslight rebuild ?

<4d3b3a62b8ba50433ff09e6a91779b04$1@def2.i2p>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: Retro Guy@anon.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 09:24 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 25 May 2020 09:24 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> This upgrade does not touch /var/www/html/common, so your custom images are ok, but at some point please copy them to /var/www/html/mods/images so they don't get overwritten with a future upgrade. 0.6.5d will check for both there first starting in this version.

Sorry, I mean please copy them to /var/www/html/common/mods/images

Retro Guy

--
Posted on def2
def2.i2p

Re: rslight rebuild

<e49f4318e0aafad97509e6d1eef0275e@def4>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 13:40:37+0000
 by: anon - Mon, 25 May 2020 13:40 UTC

>I think the issue is in offtopic, as there seem to be missing messages there on def2.

yes, that is it.
> If you could let me know if the message is complete in the spool /var/spool/rslight/articles/rocksolid/shared/offtopic/<messsage_number>

the last article i can find is nr 98:

From: anon <anon@anon.com>
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Subject: Re: Capitalism at its best
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 18:42:23+0000

>https://www.wfpusa.org/stories/8-facts-to-know-about-food-waste-and-hunger/

That is an interesting article, thanks for the link.

Posted on def4
..

This is also the last article rslight shows under "latest messages" for offtopic. However the posting time shown for "last post" was that of the last message, before it updated now to nr 98. so that means the message must have been registered at one point.

Posted on def4

Re: rslight rebuild

<9f02ea1bbda078394ae1f22ae4d977ec@def4>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 13:42:58+0000
 by: anon - Mon, 25 May 2020 13:42 UTC

>/var/spool/rslight/rocksolid.shared.offtopic-overview

the last article listed is 98.

Posted on def4

Re: rslight rebuild

<4281a5c83962251bf5233218a916f75e@def4>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 13:52:53+0000
 by: anon - Mon, 25 May 2020 13:52 UTC

>If you telnet to the nntp server, can you retrieve the message?

no, it is the same, 98 is the latest. i was assuming the server must have it because the post time was updated, but it seems like now at least it is really not there any longer (or never was, and the time was updated for different reasons).

>Is this only big articles (articles with attachments)?

No, it is also w/o any attachments (like: "You ain't Black" (Zuby))

>I'd like to see where the failure is occurring so I can fix it. Then I'd like to apply to 0.6.5d and send that to you.

don't we all ? nothing more nerve consuming than heisenbugs.

Posted on def4

Re: rslight rebuild

<42a4f032af9df2b8edd26b03a05b09ec$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 13:14 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 25 May 2020 13:14 UTC

anon wrote:

>>If you telnet to the nntp server, can you retrieve the message?

> no, it is the same, 98 is the latest. i was assuming the server must have it because the post time was updated, but it seems like now at least it is really not there any longer (or never was, and the time was updated for different reasons).

So the last article is 98, regardless of where you look. Ok, that's helpful.

>>Is this only big articles (articles with attachments)?

> No, it is also w/o any attachments (like: "You ain't Black" (Zuby))

Let's see what happens after applying 0.6.5.d as there are some changes that "might" help.

>>I'd like to see where the failure is occurring so I can fix it. Then I'd like to apply to 0.6.5d and send that to you.

> don't we all ? nothing more nerve consuming than heisenbugs.

Exactly!

Retry Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight rebuild

<653bbdaad94900b2cd9b10a91e04aa01$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: anonymous@anon.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 14:11 UTC
 by: anonymous - Mon, 25 May 2020 14:11 UTC

>Let's see what happens after applying 0.6.5.d as there are some changes that "might" help.

that will take me some time. i will be back.
--
Posted on def2
z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

Re: rslight rebuild ?

<e2fb8df5f0dbb0c83e6b56bcae3b7275$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: retroguy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 02:03:09 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 26 May 2020 09:03 UTC

anonymous wrote:

> is there an option to rebuild all the indeces that rslight uses ? there
> are some articles that are on the news server, but are not displayed on
> def2 (although the time of posting is shown under "latest post").

The design of spoolnews is to never get to the code to write the overview if
an article is not downloaded. Hopefully, articles don't show up in overview
that don't exist (I have not seen it happen yet).

At some point I will write a script to clean and fix indexes, but right now
that does not exist.

You can always remove the :xx from the end of a group name in
/var/spool/rslight/<section>/<server>.txt. This is the record of the last
received article from the upstream server. If you reduce that number, or
remove it entirely, it will start from a lower number. This is harmless as
when/if it tries to pull existing articles, it will just reject them. It
checks <group.name>-overview to see if the article exists (by message-id).

This is much faster in 0.6.5d, but works fine in 0.6.5c, just uses more
bandwidth.

Retro Guy

tried that now before i upgrade

<nh.119.1duw7m@anon.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: tried that now before i upgrade
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 09:01:38 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 26 May 2020 16:01 UTC

>You can always remove the :xx from the end of a group name

still waiting for the results. the counter was on 195, though, which seems a tad high to me (is that my own count, btw, than it is wrong for sure, if that is the server count i don't know for sure, but still seems high to me. rslight is at 177, for example),

ok, that did the trick

<nh.120.3hkics@anon.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: ok, that did the trick
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 09:05:50 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 26 May 2020 16:05 UTC

all the missing messages came in as far as i could see.
the counter is at 180 again, so it must be servers watermark, right ?

pulled all the groups again now

<nh.121.37wgte@anon.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: pulled all the groups again now
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 11:16:43 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 26 May 2020 18:16 UTC

some other groups were concerned as well. now the overboard is defunct. connection ?

overboard is back

<nh.122.rrbup@anon.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: overboard is back
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 12:23:38 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 26 May 2020 19:23 UTC

with exactly one message (the one before this one). guess it should rebuild itself somehow ?

Re: overboard is back

<6e150d0da7bf6584b622af535cee3da9$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: overboard is back
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 19:34 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 26 May 2020 19:34 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> with exactly one message (the one before this one). guess it should rebuild itself somehow ?

Wow, you're like the best beta test site ever :)

Your overboard page has no footer. That means the script is not completing, it's hanging on something. Have you added any files at all into /var/spool/rslight/articles or any of it's subdirs?

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

Re: overboard is back

<f46474492d139f7c0379b18da8f57f58$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 19:43 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 26 May 2020 19:43 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Anonymous wrote:

>> with exactly one message (the one before this one). guess it should rebuild itself somehow ?

> Wow, you're like the best beta test site ever :)

> Your overboard page has no footer. That means the script is not completing, it's hanging on something. Have you added any files at all into /var/spool/rslight/articles or any of it's subdirs?

Also, while testing it, the overboard page is cached for 5 minutes so if you make a change to something you either need to wait 5 minutes to see if it worked, or delete the cache /var/spool/rslight/rocksolid-overboard.cache

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

Re: ok, that did the trick

<8f3ffe12c785c5a52b68bf3290750a45$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: ok, that did the trick
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 22:07 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 26 May 2020 22:07 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> all the missing messages came in as far as i could see.
> the counter is at 180 again, so it must be servers watermark, right ?

That's correct. I also just checked and on i2pn2 (where you're connecting), it shows it to be 180 also:
200 i2pn2.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.6.1 ready (no posting)
group rocksolid.shared.offtopic
211 180 1 180 rocksolid.shared.offtopic

Use the last number (right before group name) to find highest article number.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com

overboard

<nh.126.1eh2c0@anon.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: overboard
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 01:03:29 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 27 May 2020 08:03 UTC

>Have you added any files at all into /var/spool/rslight/articles or any of it's subdirs?

well, not manually, no. i guess during updating articles were added of course.
the overboard works again now, but only includes messages from yesterday and later.
guess you just add new messages when they come, so if it looses its status for some reason, it does not rebuild everything ?

maybe i will just upgrade now to d, seeing if this fixes it. feels kind of pointless to debug an outdated version.

cheers

trw

Re: overboard

<e041011a8e0362ec3e6f88b51c363b60$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: overboard
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 09:08 UTC
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 27 May 2020 09:08 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

>>Have you added any files at all into /var/spool/rslight/articles or any of it's subdirs?

> well, not manually, no. i guess during updating articles were added of course.
> the overboard works again now, but only includes messages from yesterday and later.
> guess you just add new messages when they come, so if it looses its status for some reason, it does not rebuild everything ?

Overboard works simply by looking at the file dates of articles, then selecting the recent ones. I'll improve that in the future, but that's all it does right now.

It looks like it's hanging on a message for some reason, since it's not showing the footer (it never gets to that part of the code to show it).

> maybe i will just upgrade now to d, seeing if this fixes it. feels kind of pointless to debug an outdated version.

I would just upgrade, kill the nntp server, delete everything (all of it except the rslight dir), and start cron again.

With just rocksolid groups, even over i2p it won't take very long to completely populate the spool again.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
www.novabbs.com