From: Anonymous@rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Subject: TCmalloc & Other Memory Allocation Tools/Checks
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 05:09:46 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 21 Oct 2022 05:09 UTC

There is nothing like going through a bad experience for empathy! Over the years complains about i2p memory leaks were recorded mostly by BSD people but until I got bent over I did not bother to check for solutions.

Obviously the best tutorial and solution comes from Arch!
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Firejail (see the malloc part)

The next is StackOverflow (Google Free Software. My relationship with G is complicated. I rarely skirmish with Google, about once a month. Make no mistake if you attack their paid subscribers or bypath "money makers" G can be vicious. They will lose in cort for the Incognito Mode as deception and they will come around or bleed money like crazy. I do respect the skill and equipment choices for GMail and other apps 99.9996% uptime)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29205141/how-to-use-tcmalloc

If you use other OSes
https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/memory-leak-detection-tools/#

Github is full of mallocs. Here are some nice stats to look at:
https://goog-perftools.sourceforge.net/doc/tcmalloc.html

Now the Straight Jacket Story!

Decades ago I got a gig from someone who wanted to eliminate a supplier that was ripping him off. The financial analysis showed that he was correct except for one hardware module priced at 5k. I tried to reason with the person: "I'll get you stock from another supplier that will last you 30 years for half the price that will take for me to eliminate that module." The answer at the time shocked me: "What happens if the supplier breaks my running module and steals my stock?" "In this case scenario make use of the jacket that has sleeves that tie in the back which I will provide for free." We both laugh and I ended up replacing the module for the price of 36k.

Fast forward a few years when the "goons" started to move my car and change the radio presets. Most of the time was across the street. It was a power trip from their manual: "Idiot's Guide to Psycho Ops". All of a sudden the straight jacket scenario made perfect sense.

--
Posted on RetroBBS