Subject: def4 will be back on
From: anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 17:53 UTC
From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 17:53:51 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="12034"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
View all headers
So, after a long time in maintenance mode, def4 will go back online. the number of groups will be reduced to the rocksolid hierarchy, because there was a performance issue related to the web frontend and the monitoring of too many groups.
the code of def4 is in bash, which limits scalabilty a lot. at the same time, def4 is the only node not running something php based, so in case of a critical bug in php it would be the only one staying online. so I will leave it running, very basic but also very reliable for the same reason. if and when hugbunter releases the code for dread, i will check again, the surface is just dead nice.

cheers

trw
Posted on def2

Subject: Re: def4 will be back on
From: anon
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 18:37 UTC
From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 18:37:59+0000
View all headers

ah, and because the actual newsgroups are not displayed any longer, i will switch anonymous posting back on. always wanted to do that....

Posted on def4

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 02:12 UTC
From: retroguy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 02:12:51 +0000
View all headers
Welcome back def4!

From: Mei
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 15:21 UTC
From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 15:21:42 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
Woo hoo, trw!
My favorite node for RockSolid updates is back!

On the other hand, RSLight's overboard thingie is quite nice too. It's interesting to see how much has changed around here. Everything is dark now too!
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

From: anon
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 15:28 UTC
From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 15:28:05+0000
View all headers

yeah, dark is very much en vogue right now. the darknets, you know ? lol
but yeah, i think the developments all around are very nice. everything gets more and more usable and nice looking....

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Subject: bash package manager
From: A
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 13:51 UTC
From: me@usenet.invalid (A)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 13:51:51 +0000
View all headers
On 2019-11-22 17:53, anonymous wrote:
So, after a long time in maintenance mode, def4 will go back online. the number of groups will be reduced to the rocksolid hierarchy, because there was a performance issue related to the web frontend and the monitoring of too many groups.
the code of def4 is in bash, which limits scalabilty a lot. at the same time, def4 is the only node not running something php based, so in case of a critical bug in php it would be the only one staying online. so I will leave it running, very basic but also very reliable for the same reason. if and when hugbunter releases the code for dread, i will check again, the surface is just dead nice.

cheers

trw
Posted on def2

has the bash sourceCode been published somewhere? must be very simple to deploy.

maybe manage the sources with a bash package manager. everything bash-only! like Linux v.0.0.1 !

awesome simplicity.

Subject: Re: bash package manager
From: anon
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 20:53 UTC
From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 20:53:01+0000
View all headers

has the bash sourceCode been published somewhere? must be very simple to deploy.

It has been published, and it is very simple to deploy indeed. It is just that bash is the wrong tool for the job for different reasons and therefore the code is not updated anymore, and I am hesitant to publish the current version, because it is not really nice code.
I can upload it somewhere if you really want to see it. Note that bbs (the name of this program) can only run on the same server as the newsserver, because it takes the messages directly from newsspool and also the posting works only locally.
Really consider rslight or fudforum, both can run without local news server, and are more mature than bbs,

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

1