From: cory@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.computer.security,alt.privacy
Subject: I can't believe the price some pay for "privacy" or "security"
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 17:07:07 -0500
 by: cory@invalid.com - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 22:07 UTC

With freebies like TrueCrypt, VeraCrypt and PGP around, only newbies
to the subject of computer security would fall for prices such as
shown on this Web page.

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-encryption-software

The AxCrypt price is a real joke. $45 a year! Are they serious?

Re: I can't believe the price some pay for "privacy" or "security"

<djglpiln174s23kf46joht24qve7seuf3b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=414&group=alt.privacy#414

From: marcus@invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.computer.security,alt.privacy
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2024 09:27:51 -0600
 by: marcus@invalid.com - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 15:27 UTC

On Wed, 25 Oct 2023 17:07:07 -0500, cory@invalid.com wrote:

>With freebies like TrueCrypt, VeraCrypt and PGP around, only newbies
>to the subject of computer security would fall for prices such as
>shown on this Web page.
>
>https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-encryption-software
>
>The AxCrypt price is a real joke. $45 a year! Are they serious?

There are many, many newbies coming to the Web each day. Those corps
rape these newbies until those newbies finally learn about freeware.

Re: I can't believe the price some pay for "privacy" or "security"

<unf6mf$17hpg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=417&group=alt.privacy#417

From: unruh@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.security,alt.privacy
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 21:56:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 21:56 UTC

On 2024-01-07, marcus@invalid.com <marcus@invalid.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2023 17:07:07 -0500, cory@invalid.com wrote:
>
>>With freebies like TrueCrypt, VeraCrypt and PGP around, only newbies
>>to the subject of computer security would fall for prices such as
>>shown on this Web page.
>>
>>https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-encryption-software
>>
>>The AxCrypt price is a real joke. $45 a year! Are they serious?
>
> There are many, many newbies coming to the Web each day. Those corps
> rape these newbies until those newbies finally learn about freeware.

$45 is probably worth it for them to have someone to hold their hand and
write detailed installation notes so that everything works. Remember if
you screw up you could well loose everything on the disk or the
partition, because it does not decrypt. (eg passsword errors, etc). So,
having the guarentee that "this works if you follow our instructions" is
a peace of mind that may be worth that $45.
They do NOT want to learn to be cryptgraphers inorder to protect their
systems. Just as they hand their money to buy mutual funds, because they
do not want to become stock experts inorder to protect their money ( and
that costs them far far more than $45 a year).

computers / alt.privacy / Re: I can't believe the price some pay for "privacy" or "security"