From: retro_guy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Subject: Hey reddit mod
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 16:33:18 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 15 Feb 2021 23:33 UTC

In https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/l18kyk/novabbs_interests/

In reference to https://news.novabbs.com/interests/index.php

reddit mod brickfrog2@ writes:

"This site seems to be breaking their usenet provider's TOS by sharing
access to a consumer level account for posting & accessing usenet
content."

How much research went into making that statement? "Seems to be"?
Based on what? It provides access to Usenet newsgroups, so there is no
other explanation of how that is possible?

It would be nice if you (brickfrog2) would reply to my message on
reddit. (no, I don't really expect that will happen)

Retro Guy

None

<n.1309.9plzu@anon.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Subject: None
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 08:59:43 -0800
logging-data="9860"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 17 Feb 2021 16:59 UTC

do you provide posting support?
i know of no problems with pulling everything but alt.*
there might be some hierarchy rulings against pushing articles i dont have a clue about whatever tos but if youre american violating an written tos is most likely illegal in your state
maxwell should of taught you to never trust reddit mods or even reddit for that matter

--
Posted on def2

Re: None

<20210217163353.145a808d@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
From: retro_guy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Subject: Re: None
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 16:33:53 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 17 Feb 2021 23:33 UTC

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 08:59:43 -0800
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

> do you provide posting support?

yep.

> i know of no problems with pulling everything but alt.*
> there might be some hierarchy rulings against pushing articles i dont

I carry standard hierarchies (Big8, alt, regional, etc., and my servers
honor moderated groups.

> have a clue about whatever tos but if youre american violating an
> written tos is most likely illegal in your state maxwell should of

No TOS exists. Since I am the Usenet provider, I need no one's
permission to read and post Usenet articles and to provide access for
others to do so.

> never trust reddit mods or even reddit for that matter

After two messages to the mod with no response, I posted about it and
now that post has been sitting waiting for mod approval for 18 hours,
lol.

It's a very childish way for a mod to react. Just reply and say
something like, oh, thanks for that. I'll append a note to the message.
It's that simple.

None

<n.1311.1l0nws@anon.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 17:35:40 -0800
logging-data="1359"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 18 Feb 2021 01:35 UTC

>>59cdb521bb71e33a6a
>I carry standard hierarchies (Big8, alt, regional, etc., and my servers
>honor moderated groups.
by alt i meant alt.binaries.* you cant have the petabytes for that
>No TOS exists. Since I am the Usenet provider, I need no one's
>permission to read and post Usenet articles and to provide access for
>others to do so.
how about peering agreements then not the same legal binding but dont want to get booted
btw how do i setup noninternet uucp agreements for mainline isc usenet in the current times im curious

--
Posted on def2

Re: None

<20210217191518.1ca0c518@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
From: retro_guy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 19:15:18 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 18 Feb 2021 02:15 UTC

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 17:35:40 -0800
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

> >>59cdb521bb71e33a6a
> >I carry standard hierarchies (Big8, alt, regional, etc., and my
> >servers honor moderated groups.
> by alt i meant alt.binaries.* you cant have the petabytes for that

Yes, I do not carry binary groups by choice.

> >No TOS exists. Since I am the Usenet provider, I need no one's
> >permission to read and post Usenet articles and to provide access for
> >others to do so.
> how about peering agreements then not the same legal binding but dont
> want to get booted

My peering agreements are "send me what you have and I'll send you what
I have, and please run cleanfeed (spam filter)."

What is giganews? Do they own Usenet?
What is Google Groups? Do they own Usenet?
No, they are just peers of Usenet (big peers, but peers). They don't
dicatate how Usenet operates, they're just connected.

My server, i2pn.org, is doing exactly the same thing. I have peers that
have mutually agreed to peer with i2pn.org, and they peer with others.
Most of us have several peers. We share what we receive and accept what
is sent. The agreements usually include maximum message size and list
of groups they want. That's pretty much it.

i2pn.org is a small Usenet provider. giganews is a big usenet provider.
But both are the same thing, just at different scale. There is no
'authority' to tell me that I can't propagate messages from my end. In
fact, the reason servers peer together is so they can receive what's
been posted elsewhere, and send what's posted on their end.

My setup (websites and nntp servers) are doing nothing against any
"rules". If I were to gather all my peers in a room and say, "Hey, just
so you know, I have websites where people can post to Usenet and I
propagate those posts through your servers." The reply would most
likely be, "You brought us here to tell us this? It's pretty much what
we assumed you'd be doing. Can I have a beer now?"

> btw how do i setup noninternet uucp agreements for
> mainline isc usenet in the current times im curious

You set up agreements by contacting a prospective peer and making an
arrangement. Once you both agree on how you want to connect, then do
so. There is no 'Usenet Authority' to contact.

Retro Guy

None

<n.1313.48ciu7@anon.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 19:28:55 -0800
logging-data="17691"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 18 Feb 2021 03:28 UTC

>>2810dd008ad2d0fe42
>The agreements usually include maximum message size and list
>of groups they want. That's pretty much it.
this is the answer i was looking for and the newsdaemons ive used have options for these agreements in software this is superior to manual intervention
>"Hey, just
>so you know, I have websites where people can post to Usenet and I
>propagate those posts through your servers."
>"You brought us here to tell us this? It's pretty much what
>we assumed you'd be doing. Can I have a beer now?"
now how does this cover your newsdaemon being connected to a anonymous scriptkid network even indirectly that constantly floods it with illegal content and the sysadmin being too lazy for moderating it
you can accept keys from them for cancel control articles but they really cant just be ok with the nonstop influx of illegal content maybe an extreme example but it has happened
>You set up agreements by contacting a prospective peer and making an
>arrangement. Once you both agree on how you want to connect, then do
>so. There is no 'Usenet Authority' to contact.
i called it isc usenet due to the concept of a usenet cabal which you understand from the big peers not to say they are the authority or own it much like you dont own dovenet rocksolid synchronet etc
i mean whos even going to setup a uucp peering for a random soekris box that isnt held in common network housing
fidonet hobbyists?
bunch of extreme examples im sure someone else who hobby developed rfc3977 v7uucp and netnews daemon"s" wont be using an underpowered box for playing around there

--
Posted on def2

Re: None

<20210217232310.3b6f9d2f@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
From: retro_guy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 23:23:10 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 18 Feb 2021 06:23 UTC

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 19:28:55 -0800
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

> >>2810dd008ad2d0fe42

> >"Hey, just
> >so you know, I have websites where people can post to Usenet and I
> >propagate those posts through your servers."
> >"You brought us here to tell us this? It's pretty much what
> >we assumed you'd be doing. Can I have a beer now?"

> now how does this cover your newsdaemon being connected to a
> anonymous scriptkid network even indirectly that constantly floods it
> with illegal content and the sysadmin being too lazy for moderating
> it you can accept keys from them for cancel control articles but they
> really cant just be ok with the nonstop influx of illegal content
> maybe an extreme example but it has happened

There are no guarantees that someone's server or your own won't be
abused. Usually the admin would then try to take some action to avoid
it in the future, but if not, each peer can choose to disconnect from
the server, and/or filter posts coming from the server. None of this is
anything new on the internet.

A big chunk of spam on Usenet comes from Google Groups. Some sites or
servers choose to filter out anything from them. Some sites filter out
messages coming from mail to news gateways (and through a peer).

> >You set up agreements by contacting a prospective peer and making an
> >arrangement. Once you both agree on how you want to connect, then do
> >so. There is no 'Usenet Authority' to contact.

> i called it isc usenet due to the concept of a usenet cabal which you
> understand from the big peers not to say they are the authority or
> own it much like you dont own dovenet rocksolid synchronet etc i mean
> whos even going to setup a uucp peering for a random soekris box that
> isnt held in common network housing fidonet hobbyists? bunch of
> extreme examples im sure someone else who hobby developed rfc3977
> v7uucp and netnews daemon"s" wont be using an underpowered box for
> playing around there

A fidonet hobbyist is the first place I'd look for uucp peering.

You may be surprised how many bbs systems are hosted in vms, and how
many Usenet peers are running on a raspberry pi. I have 14 Usenet
peers, some tiny hobbyist systems, and some larger.

Retro Guy

None

<n.1315.1nx5wx@anon.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 08:30:46 -0800
logging-data="5277"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 18 Feb 2021 16:30 UTC

>>8a05d66e34484f2fb9
>There are no guarantees that someone's server or your own won't be
>abused. Usually the admin would then try to take some action to avoid
>it in the future, but if not, each peer can choose to disconnect from
>the server, and/or filter posts coming from the server. None of this is
>anything new on the internet.
i really rather not babysit like ive had to before as you know this isnt new
>You may be surprised how many bbs systems are hosted in vms, and how
>many Usenet peers are running on a raspberry pi. I have 14 Usenet
>peers, some tiny hobbyist systems, and some larger.
well no this isnt surprising since ive hosted on vms and different arm and mips devices on hackernets
soekris is more underpowered compared to a majority of arm devices used but theres two people using soekris boxes over here

--
Posted on def2

None

<n.1316.2fb3wq@anon.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 08:37:57 -0800
logging-data="5277"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 18 Feb 2021 16:37 UTC

I'm looking for uncesored up to date news sites as I'm also looking to follow Q members off the grid. Can anyone help me in my persuit of truth? Thanks

--
Posted on def2

None

<n.1317.32wph6@anon.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 12:46:29 -0800
logging-data="21454"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 18 Feb 2021 20:46 UTC

>>cbb6134fa2ce09b7a9
>I'm looking for uncesored

You're in the right place.

>up to date news sites

Sometimes. Depending on user input.

>as I'm also looking to follow Q members off the grid.

You're in the wrong place. Q people don't come here.

> Can anyone help me in my persuit of truth? Thanks

Lay off the Q stuff, that would be a good first step imho. :-)
Just because the politicians are lying to you, doesn't mean that all people who call them out on that would not be lying as well.

--
Posted on def2