From: retro_guy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Subject: Added http proxy support in rslight
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 18:01:44 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 4 Feb 2021 01:01 UTC

I now have http proxy working for sync in rslight. Testing now on a
site and it's working fine.

The test site is pointed to my i2p http proxy (port 4444), which means
you can sync via i2p without creating a tunnel to the server. So no
work at all needs to be done in your i2p router to sync rslight.

I'll continue testing, but right now it's working fine.

So, rslight now supports sync via tor or i2p, without changing anything
in your tor or i2p setup, just config rslight to direct through the
socks or http proxy and it works.

Retro Guy

Re: Added http proxy support in rslight

<20210204024127.1a206bd6@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
From: retro_guy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Subject: Re: Added http proxy support in rslight
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 02:41:27 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 4 Feb 2021 09:41 UTC

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 18:01:44 -0700
Retro Guy <retro_guy@novabbs.com> wrote:

> I now have http proxy working for sync in rslight. Testing now on a
> site and it's working fine.

So far this is working. I had a couple of bugs related to handling the
http responses, but that seems fixed now.

To explain, this is not syncing via http, it's syncing via nntp. It's
just tunneling the nntp communication over a http proxy. The whole
point was to make it work without the need to create a client tunnel in
i2p, and that seems to work.

I've tested with a remote rslight news server and remote inn2 server
and I see no difference.

Hopefully it will withstand a bunch more tests and I include it in the
next release.

Retro Guy

Re: Added http proxy support in rslight

<b2cab8bcb8dbd5ba9ec50429ab7d91c8$1@192.168.0.220>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 00:10:28 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 5 Feb 2021 00:10 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 18:01:44 -0700
> Retro Guy <retro_guy@novabbs.com> wrote:

>> I now have http proxy working for sync in rslight. Testing now on a
>> site and it's working fine.

> So far this is working. I had a couple of bugs related to handling the
> http responses, but that seems fixed now.

Spooling is complete, posting works, seems all good.

If it wasn't for logging pretty much every piece of data back and forth, I never would have got this working, lol.

It'll stay in testing for awhile just to make sure.
--
Posted somewhere (here)
192.168.0.220

Re: Added http proxy support in rslight

<20210206165437.60791230@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
From: retro_guy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2021 16:54:37 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 6 Feb 2021 23:54 UTC

On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 00:10:28 +0000
retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 18:01:44 -0700
> > Retro Guy <retro_guy@novabbs.com> wrote:
>
> >> I now have http proxy working for sync in rslight. Testing now on a
> >> site and it's working fine.
>
> > So far this is working. I had a couple of bugs related to handling
> > the http responses, but that seems fixed now.
>
> Spooling is complete, posting works, seems all good.
>
> If it wasn't for logging pretty much every piece of data back and
> forth, I never would have got this working, lol.
>
> It'll stay in testing for awhile just to make sure.

And that's why you keep things in testing. It's not working well with
i2p http proxy. Other http proxies seem ok, but this is not working
reliably.

I'm going to put this feature (bug target) on hold while I work on
other pieces of the code for now.

Retro Guy