Staff meeting in the conference room in %d minutes.

rocksolid / Rocksolid Nodes Announce / def4 is partly out of service

SubjectAuthor
* def4 is partly out of serviceAnonymous
+* Re: def4 is partly out of serviceanonymous
|`* Re: def4 is partly out of serviceRetro Guy
| `* Re: def4 is partly out of serviceanonymous
|  `- Re: def4 is partly out of serviceanonymous
+* NoneAnonymous
|`- Re: NoneRetro Guy
+* NoneAnonymous
|`- Re: NoneRetro Guy
`* NoneAnonymous
 `* Re: NoneRetro Guy
  `- Re: NoneRetro Guy

1
Subject: def4 is partly out of service
From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 12:07 UTC
Attachments: turnoff.jpg (image/jpeg)
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 04:07:27 -0800
logging-data="25307"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
View all headers
due to the testing of a new setup, the service is partially down.
(don't know if def4 has any users at all, lol).

cheers

trw

Attachments: turnoff.jpg
Subject: Re: def4 is partly out of service
From: anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 23:56 UTC
From: anonymous@def4.i2p (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 23:56:12 +0000
View all headers
ok, so by now I found out that my moving from inn2 to rslight nntp server breaks some functionality of bbx, because inn2 processes requests like this:

nntp://127.0.0.1/$msgid

while rslight does not. too lazy to fix this in bbx, and much too lazy to go back to inn2, rslight basically just runs fine so far.

instead, I will use def4 as my new playground to build on and hack rslight.

Right now, the node seems to be fully functional, so I have not broken too much.

cheers

trw
--
def4 rslight devel node
def4.i2p

Subject: None
From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 23:45 UTC
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 15:45:05 -0800
logging-data="27462"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
View all headers
9fb8a59f16655d7b27
instead, I will use def4 as my new playground to build on and hack rslight.

http://def4.i2p/rocksolid/

rslight with the look of fudforum. I think I like that.

Attachments: rs_fud.jpg
From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 00:33 UTC
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 17:33:43 -0700
From: retro_guy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
View all headers
On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 23:56:12 +0000
anonymous@def4.i2p (anonymous) wrote:

ok, so by now I found out that my moving from inn2 to rslight nntp
server breaks some functionality of bbx, because inn2 processes
requests like this:

nntp://127.0.0.1/$msgid

Aha, that might be a bug in rslight that requires being in the group
where the msgid resides to pull it:

article $msgid

I will fix that in the not so distant future.

instead, I will use def4 as my new playground to build on and hack
rslight.

Right now, the node seems to be fully functional, so I have not
broken too much.

The zip file you downloaded for testing the server actually contains an
entire rslight install. That file is the only download available that
contains the new search features, so maybe you want to start with that.

I just haven't pushed it to github yet as I've been testing and it's
working fine it seems.

Either way, have fun!

Retro Guy

Subject: Re: None
From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 00:46 UTC
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 00:46:31 +0000
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
View all headers
Anonymous wrote:

9fb8a59f16655d7b27
instead, I will use def4 as my new playground to build on and hack rslight.

http://def4.i2p/rocksolid/

Looks like it's working.

I think you might have: 'verify_email' => '1' set in rslight.inc.php, which will not allow registrations to work without 'phpmailer' installed. Since you probably don't want email verification enabled, just change the above to => '' and it should allow registration. If it still doesn't work, let me know and I'll fix that. I may not have tested disabling but not having phpmailer installed. Should be easy to fix if that's the case.

Yes, I tried to register, lol.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.org

From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 01:21 UTC
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 17:21:47 -0800
logging-data="29021"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
View all headers
0785b46ea48381d883
I think you might have: 'verify_email' => '1' set in rslight.inc.php, which will not allow registrations to work without 'phpmailer' installed.

yes, i had that one. i thought the line directly under this would solve it for me:

'no_verify' => '.i2p .onion',

I set

 'verify_email' => '0'

now, but with no visible effect for me (I still have to give an email address, and there is not output from rsusers.php, so registration does not work atm).

Since you probably don't want email verification enabled, just change the above to => '' and it should allow registration.

i set to
 'verify_email' => ''

after reading the above, but still the same.

If it still doesn't work, let me know and I'll fix that. I may not have tested disabling but not having phpmailer installed. Should be easy to fix if that's the case.

well, it seems it cannot be turned off atm,

--
Posted on def2

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 01:33 UTC
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 18:33:30 -0700
From: retro_guy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
View all headers
On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 17:21:47 -0800
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

0785b46ea48381d883
I think you might have: 'verify_email' => '1' set in rslight.inc.php,
which will not allow registrations to work without 'phpmailer'
installed.

yes, i had that one. i thought the line directly under this would
solve it for me:

'no_verify' => '.i2p .onion',

I set

 'verify_email' => '0'
well, it seems it cannot be turned off atm,

Please remove these lines from common/rsuser.php:

include($config_dir.'/phpmailer.inc.php');

// Setup mailer
if(class_exists('PHPMailer')) {
  $mail = new PHPMailer();
} else {
  $mail = new PHPMailer\PHPMailer\PHPMailer();
}

If that works, then I just need to make sure to check 'verify_email' in
that file before doing the above. Thanks! :)

Also, when disabling anything in config, it's => ''
as '0' can be seen as true in some of the code.

Thanks again for the help debugging.

Retro Guy

From: anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 02:01 UTC
From: anonymous@def4.i2p (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 02:01:57 +0000
View all headers
Aha, that might be a bug in rslight that requires being in the group
where the msgid resides to pull it:
I will fix that in the not so distant future.

cool, thanks.

The zip file you downloaded for testing the server actually contains an
entire rslight install. That file is the only download available that
contains the new search features, so maybe you want to start with that.

yes, i noticed, guess i will update the existing installation with the newer files then.

Either way, have fun!

Thanks. My current planning is to write alternatives/hacks for:

-overboard.php
-thread.php
-search.php
-register.php
-article-flat.php

to give them the look and feel of the current fudforum installation on def3. Seems pretty simple to do by using the output of def3 as templates (although some amount of repetitive work and the result is not 100% the same). When I will be finally done, I will ditch fudforum for good (in contrast to some other ideas to fork the code, by now I think this is just too much work for me). So I guess I will just go with the stable and easy to manage rslight package, instead of endless hacks in code that would need a lot of attention just to bring it up to speed, never mind opsec.
--
def4 rslight devel node
def4.i2p

From: anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 02:53 UTC
From: anonymous@def4.i2p (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 02:53:35 +0000
View all headers
anonymous wrote:

The zip file you downloaded for testing the server actually contains an
entire rslight install. That file is the only download available that
contains the new search features, so maybe you want to start with that.

yes, i noticed, guess i will update the existing installation with the newer files then.

Due to the addition of body search, the databases are changed. They can be upgraded with rslight/scripts/import-db3.php, or just wipe out spool dir and start over. Either way.

import-db3.php is basically a 'rebuild-overview' script. It can be used to import groups, upgrade groups, or repair groups. It reads the existing <group>-articles.db3 and creates a new overview based on it, and creates a new <group>-articles.db3 file with whatever the latest feature is (search, in this case).

NOTE: register.php has upcoming changes. It's doing it's job using multiple scripts, but will all be combined into one in the future (register.php, rsusers.php, create.php etc.) I wrote these when I knew even less than I do now about php :)

-article-flat.php

to give them the look and feel of the current fudforum installation on def3. Seems pretty simple to do by using the output of def3 as templates (although some amount of repetitive work and the result is not 100% the same).

fudforum is a nice interface. Hopefully style.css is helpful and of course there will be a need to edit files. Please note, most colors are handled in style-colors.css, which hopefully makes that part easier.

Retro Guy

From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 18:52 UTC
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 11:52:27 -0700
logging-data="13365"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
View all headers
c6fdf331de993a51c5
If that works, then I just need to make sure to check 'verify_email' in that file before doing the above.

Yes, that worked. I could register an account. Still need to put in an email address though.

--
Posted on def2

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 07:39 UTC
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 00:39:07 -0700
From: retro_guy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
View all headers
On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 11:52:27 -0700
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

c6fdf331de993a51c5
If that works, then I just need to make sure to check 'verify_email'
in that file before doing the above.

Yes, that worked. I could register an account. Still need to put in
an email address though.

I can add a setting to disable that, but you can just put in anything
that looks like an email address and it will work. It is what will
appear after your username in posts. So, steve@example.i2p would work.

From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 07:46 UTC
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 00:46:27 -0700
From: retro_guy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
View all headers
On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 00:39:07 -0700
Retro Guy <retro_guy@novabbs.com> wrote:

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 11:52:27 -0700
Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:

c6fdf331de993a51c5
If that works, then I just need to make sure to check
'verify_email' in that file before doing the above.

Yes, that worked. I could register an account. Still need to put in
an email address though.

I can add a setting to disable that, but you can just put in anything
that looks like an email address and it will work. It is what will
appear after your username in posts. So, steve@example.i2p would work.

Also, the latest version (rslight-15032021.zip) now has that code to be
executed only if verify_email = 1, so an upgrade won't break the fact
that the code has been removed on your site.

1
rocksolid light 0.7.2
clearneti2ptor