Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 07:12:07 +0000
Subject: import script for rslight
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 17 Feb 2021 07:12 UTC

I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but it's working well now:

All that is necessary to either back up, or share with another site is any <group>-articles.db3 file. With this file, you can import all overview info, etc. and add the group to your site.

One nice thing is that rocksolid.* can be shared with a new site with just one file per group. You can then import and there is no need to pull the articles from a news server to get setup. Also, a group can be added to a site just by getting the file from another site (or backup you may have).

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.org

Re: import script for rslight

<f4eaaccb6b941b158cfed7771cc50e38$1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=346&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#346

Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 10:11:59 +0000
Subject: Re: import script for rslight
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 18 Feb 2021 10:11 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> All that is necessary to either back up, or share with another site is any <group>-articles.db3 file. With this file, you can import all overview info, etc. and add the group to your site.

The addition of this feature has provided me with a simple way to perform spool cleanups. I (rslight) can run a weekly/monthly whatever, maintenance script on it's own that will make sure overviews and articles match. inn does this, but rslight does not. I plan to work on this over the next week or so.

I have a good test bed since I torture my test sites and screw them up, but they still work. From the user point of view, it's fine, but from my point of view, I know I have duplicates in the overview.

It will be a good idea to have some maintenance run once in a while.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.org

Re: import script for rslight

<925fcad7914bc1184415aba47eaf4584$1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=347&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#347

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 07:11:06 +0000
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 19 Feb 2021 07:11 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:

>> All that is necessary to either back up, or share with another site is any <group>-articles.db3 file. With this file, you can import all overview info, etc. and add the group to your site.

Ok, this is working well. I copied some group .db3s from novabbs to a test site and created the groups with them. Each group is an exact copy of novabbs.org and will add messages as they come in just as if the groups started on the test site.

So, with only <group>-articles.db3 files, you can rebuild an entire site. You can copy them to another site, or restore from backup with the files (these are the files that contain the actual articles) Any other files in the spool dir can be deleted and all can be recovered with just these.

I've included checking so that you don't add duplicates to overview. You can import a file numerous times, but it will really only import once (it checks each message to see if it already has it in overview)

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.org

Re: import script for rslight

<s0o9c0$v3q$1@novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=348&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#348

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 07:03:31 -0500
 by: Guest - Fri, 19 Feb 2021 12:03 UTC
Attachments: vaccination.gif (image/gif)

This is nice to hear. I am considering right now to drop inn2 for good on my end, and replace it by the stand alone version of the nntp server from rslight.
Maybe it would even be an option to bundle it with the modified version of fudforum that I hope to release one day (so everything could be preconfigured in fudforum to point to the local nntp server).

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def3

Attachments: vaccination.gif
Re: import script for rslight

<8150a11879cd5bc74106f3a543192bf3$1@192.168.0.230>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=350&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#350

Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 06:43:11 +0000
From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 21 Feb 2021 06:43 UTC

Guest wrote:

> This is nice to hear. I am considering right now to drop inn2 for good on my end, and replace it by the stand alone version of the nntp server from rslight.

I'll soon have a proper install script for this (standalone). It works fine, just haven't bothered to write the install script yet.

Also, I just built a new (test) site using only <group>-articles.db3 files from a running site and the test site is up and running just fine. Everything handled by the import script.

This is being posted on the test site (built using import script, syncing via built in tor support).

Retro Guy
--
Unconfigured rslight site
192.168.0.230

Re: import script for rslight

<b7c98b822b5a33ffb8a48b391937ac5b$1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=351&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#351

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 09:24:05 +0000
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 23 Feb 2021 09:24 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> This is being posted on the test site (built using import script, syncing via built in tor support).

Importing the groups was fast and easy. Took about 1-3 seconds per group. One nice thing is if your overview files ever become corrupted or deleted or whatever, just run import from your articles file and all is rebuilt for you in a second or two per group.

Since rslight creates web links using article numbers, this method of restore maintains the article numbers, so incoming links do not change.

One thing I do plan to improve is moving the lock files to the spool directory (right now they are in system tmp dir). That way, more than one instance of rslight nntp server can run on the same machine. It's an easy change, I'll get to it in a few days.

On a side note, I finally got the semaphore file (nntp.disable) working properly. Just create (touch) the file in the config dir and you turn off the nntp server(s). Delete the file and they start back up. It's nice for maintenance as it's very simple.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.org