From: kitzman@disroot.org (kitzman)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Trouble with 'require_ssl' on INN 2.6.4
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 15:29:31 +0200
 by: kitzman - Wed, 17 Nov 2021 13:29 UTC

Hey everyone,

I'm quite new to NNTP and I set up INN to have my RSS feeds there. I
saw on INN's README.md that I can reach out here for questions. I would
be grateful is someone could lend me a hand.

Previously, I've used version 1.6.x, as it came with Debian, and, in
order to serve TLS connections, I've used stunnel.

Now I'm using 2.6.4 - and I configured it to serve TLS. However, my RSS
uploader is, at the end, just using sinntp, which is a lightweight
client. However, sinntp does not support TLS connections.

So, I configured in `readers.conf` to allow local traffic to use 119,
and also set `require_ssl: false` in the auth block. However, I still
get the "Encryption required" error :/ . From the logs I see that it
used the right auth and access group, and that the parsing worked.

Is there something wrong with my approach?

Quite excited though about using my LISP-powered Gwene and soon
Gmane. :) At the end I'll send a patch to the Alpine ports, with the INN
package.

Kind regards,
kizman

Re: Trouble with 'require_ssl' on INN 2.6.4

<sn8q1e$38sm9$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=343&group=news.software.nntp#343

From: iulius@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: Trouble with 'require_ssl' on INN 2.6.4
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 19:22:37 +0100
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 18:22 UTC

Hi kitzman,

> Now I'm using 2.6.4 - and I configured it to serve TLS. However, my RSS
> uploader is, at the end, just using sinntp, which is a lightweight
> client. However, sinntp does not support TLS connections.
>
> So, I configured in `readers.conf` to allow local traffic to use 119,
> and also set `require_ssl: false` in the auth block. However, I still
> get the "Encryption required" error :/ . From the logs I see that it
> used the right auth and access group, and that the parsing worked.

Normally, you should not have to define port 119 in readers.conf.
Could you please copy/paste here your readers.conf file please? (with
possible IP and hostnames obfuscated if they should not be known)

Do you start a separate nnrpd on port 563 as explained in the last
section of:
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/checklist.html

Unencrypted traffic on port 119 is handled by innd. It will spawn nnrpd
itself.

readers.conf documentation with examples in the EXAMPLES section:
https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/readers.conf.html

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Dès que le silence se fait, les gens le meublent. » (Raymond Devos)

computers / news.software.nntp / Trouble with 'require_ssl' on INN 2.6.4