From: Anonymous@news.novabbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Subject: Reality
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 22:18:37 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 18 Apr 2021 22:18 UTC

What's reality? I don't know. When my bird was looking at my computer monitor I thought "That bird has no idea what he's looking at." And yet what does the bird do? Does he panic? No, he can't really panic, he just does the best he can. Is he able to live in a world where he's so ignorant? Well, he doesn't really have a choice. The bird is okay even though he doesn't understand the world. You're that bird looking at the monitor, and you're thinking to yourself, I can figure this out. Maybe you have some bird ideas. Maybe that's the best you can do.
--
Posted on novaBBS

Re: Reality

<4c1589fef829f833d393de86b6e27eb9@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=319&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#319

From: Anonymous@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Subject: Re: Reality
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 07:50:07 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 19 Apr 2021 07:50 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> What's reality? I don't know. When my bird was looking at my computer monitor I thought "That bird has no idea what he's looking at." And yet what does the bird do? Does he panic? No, he can't really panic, he just does the best he can. Is he able to live in a world where he's so ignorant? Well, he doesn't really have a choice. The bird is okay even though he doesn't understand the world. You're that bird looking at the monitor, and you're thinking to yourself, I can figure this out. Maybe you have some bird ideas. Maybe that's the best you can do.

I've been accused of having bird ideas :)

I assume a bird has no idea that another creature is smarter than they are, they just get done what needs to be done. I think you're saying that we are the same, we think we (as a species) might know it all, but we really have no way of knowing what we don't know. The difference might be that we can realize that and a bird probably cannot.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Reality

<b.1485.44b7og@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=320&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#320

From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 01:13:51 -0700
logging-data="2771"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 19 Apr 2021 08:13 UTC

Bonus question: is the bird aware of the fact the he is a bird ? In other words, does the beast know its limitations ?

--
Posted on def2

Re: Reality

<b.1487.187f8n@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=321&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#321

From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 02:29:30 -0700
logging-data="23688"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 19 Apr 2021 09:29 UTC

And who is happier ? The bird or the person watching the bird and asking deep questions ?
Maybe we should not have gotten down from the trees...or maybe we should have stayed in the sea....

But I'm good anyways....lol

--
Posted on def2

Re: Reality

<e439eda0c5161a08eaf915afffb521f8@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=322&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#322

From: Anonymous@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 14:41:30 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 19 Apr 2021 14:41 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> Bonus question: is the bird aware of the fact the he is a bird ? In other words, does the beast know its limitations ?

I don't think so. I would think a bird is concerned about his own life and immediate plans, without really comprehending anything beyond that.

On the other hand, I think there is something about humans that allows us to think beyond this.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Reality

<47ced2bca9e87bad9957aa6d0e7bbacb@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=323&group=rocksolid.shared.offtopic#323

From: Anonymous@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 14:47:50 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 19 Apr 2021 14:47 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> And who is happier ? The bird or the person watching the bird and asking deep questions ?

That's a bit tricky. Is a bird happy? I don't know. As someone who has had pets (cats/dogs) for many years, I know they can show happiness and I believe they truly feel it. Can they feel it like a human? Is it different? Is it better? I don't know. I do know that things like aging can cause a human to feel distress or depression, and contrary to this have watched pets that are moving toward their end still show excitement and happiness. Maybe not understanding things like this is a benefit in some ways.

> Maybe we should not have gotten down from the trees...or maybe we should have stayed in the sea....

Not sure. I guess if we were ignorant of things that we do know, it would be fine, but knowing what we do, would we want to miss out on what we experience? Interesting things to consider.

> But I'm good anyways....lol

Yes, I'll stick with my own situation also :)
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light