Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate and captain of your soul.

rocksolid / Rocksolid Nodes Announce / Re: rslight-0.6.6

SubjectAuthor
* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
`* rslight-0.6.6anon
 `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
  `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
   `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
    `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
     `* rslight-0.6.6Anonymous
      `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
       `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
        `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
         `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
          +* rslight-0.6.6Guest
          |`* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
          | `* rslight-0.6.6Guest
          |  `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
          |   `- rslight-0.6.6rslightuser
          `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
           `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
            `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
             `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
              `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
               `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
                `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
                 `* rslight-0.6.6AnonUser
                  `* rslight-0.6.6AnonUser
                   `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
                    `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
                     `* rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy
                      `- rslight-0.6.6Retro Guy

Pages:12
Re: rslight-0.6.6

<20201031044222.481fa9c2@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=314&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#314

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: rslight-0.6.6
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 04:42:22 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 31 Oct 2020 11:42 UTC

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 05:16:50 +0000
AnonUser@novabbs.i2p (AnonUser) wrote:

> AnonUser wrote:
>
> > To: retro.guy
> > retrobbs.i2p is now running the latest code.
>
> > Configuration has changed quite a bit with a goal toward at least
> > not adding to complexity, and hopefully reducing it. A config file
> > for each section is no longer required, but if you wish a section
> > to use a different config, just copy the main file and change as
> > you wish.
>
> rslight.i2p is now running the new code also.
>
> I need to get the install script up to date and then try installing
> (not just overwriting) onto novabbs.

It's all installed now. Working fine (it seems)

The install scripts are working fine, but I want to simplify further.
I'll get on that next week, but for now I need to fix the 'Pages'
selection when viewing groups or articles. Some groups have a lot of
articles and you could have 50 or many more pages. I want to shrink
that down so it doesn't run off the screen. I've been wanting to do
that for a while, but also really wanted a better config system. Now
that that is mostly done, I can get this working better.

There is always more to do, but that's where I'm at right now, and most
bugs I come across at this point are in the newsportal code, not the
rslight mods. They're harder to fix because I didn't write the code and
have to decipher it as I go :)

Retro Guy

Re: rslight-0.6.6

<100b7bdb6a6a70cf9d883665db95fa64$1@www.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=315&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#315

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 11:33:28 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 14 Nov 2020 11:33 UTC

My list of bugs is reasonably small now. I'm sure there are plenty, but the ones I'm aware of have been addressed and seem ok.

There are some things in the newsportal code that need cleaned up, especially one that is a memory hog. That one will take some work. I know how to improve it, but it's a big change. Unless you're serving groups with tens of thousands of messages, it works fine with default php memory settings.

I'm about half way through a web config page. This way, all the major settings can be read and modified in your browser, no need to edit a file. Still writing the descriptions of each setting for the page, but once it's done, configuration should be very simple.

One of the reasons I run one of my sites on clearnet and serving a lot of different groups, is so that I get feedback from non-technical users (mostly google groups users) and can address things that are maybe not as clear to the average user. This has been very helpful. Also, a site with many thousands of messages, and people posting right on top of eachother has helped fix previous issues with safe interaction between newsportal and rslight code. This is working well now.

Also, the header at top is now fully configurable. The menu at the top right for links is handled by links.conf, and of course the sections already are automatic.

Once the web configuration script is complete, and a couple of minor changes are done, I plan to release 0.6.6. I won't be adding any more features until that is done.

The plan for new features after this is hopefully as plugins. I need to create some hooks and allow plugins to be safely introduced. We'll see how that goes after 0.6.6 is out.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on novaBBS
www.novabbs.com

Re: rslight-0.6.6

<20201120184139.036b2b55@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=316&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#316

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 18:41:39 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 21 Nov 2020 01:41 UTC

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 11:33:28 +0000
retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy) wrote:

> My list of bugs is reasonably small now. I'm sure there are plenty,
> but the ones I'm aware of have been addressed and seem ok.

Been working on a newsportal bug that only shows itself in large busy
groups. I think I finally found why it happens and have made a change
to minimize the chances, but it's still not written the way I would
like. I'll leave it for now, but eventually improve it.

Basically, when it adds new messages (pulls them from upstream or they
are posted), it of course puts them into the proper threads (tries to
anyway). newsportal was deleting the .dat file that contains the info,
then threading, then writing the new .dat file. This caused a problem
if someone read the group while the .dat file didn't exist (even though
a very short time). When that happens, it starts threading all the way
from the beginning, which in a group with tens of thousands of messages
takes a while.

I simply moved the file deletion (unlink) to just before creating it
again. That way while it's threading and going to add the new articles,
the .dat file still exists, then doesn't exist for a very very short
time. Much shorter time than the whole time it's threading. I still
need to improve this as the file should really always exist, but for
now I hope it's better.

> Once the web configuration script is complete, and a couple of minor
> changes are done, I plan to release 0.6.6. I won't be adding any more
> features until that is done.

Configuration of settings (rslight.inc.php) is now completely handled
in the browser. You can still manually edit the file but it's not
necessary. So on a new install, or to make changes, just pull up config
in your browser and read the descriptions of settings, make changes and
save.

I spent a good bit of time trying to find a reasonably secure way to do
this so that only you (the admin) can access the config data and change
it and I think I've achieved that. I still recommend moving the config
script out of the web dir when not in use, but that's probably not
necessary, just recommended.

I wanted to do this without web server authentication,
without .htaccess files, without cookies, without javascript and without
sessions. No config data resides in web accessible directories at all
and it was interesting to work this out. Hopefully it's ok :)

I may apply some css to the config page as right now it looks like
you're configuring NCSA Mosaic, but that's for another time. It works
and making it pretty isn't as important. I like to get things working,
then make them look nice (if possible).

Log rotation, and proper config file names is all done and working
fine. I'll be monitoring how everything is working and fixing whatever
shows up, but no new features until this is ready. So, basically
wrapping up 0.6.6 for the next release (when ready).

Retro Guy

Re: rslight-0.6.6

<20201130024829.407a646a@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=322&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#322

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 02:48:29 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 30 Nov 2020 09:48 UTC

rocksolid-light-0.6.6.zip is now available for download from the links
at the bottom of a Rocksolid Light site:

www.novabbs.com/getrslight
rslight.i2p/getrslight
dkzerogt6z6ybhcj.onion/getrslight

I will keep this directory up to date with version changes, but more up
to date code will be available on github.com currently, and hopefully
on one or more alternatives in the darkent.

https://github.com/novabbs/rocksolid-light

Retro Guy