Subject: Planet Debian
From: rslight rss feeds
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Followup: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 07:35 UTC
From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 07:35:06 +0000
View all headers
Steve Kemp: Removing my last server?
https://blog.steve.fi/removing_my_last_server_.html
February 5, 2022, 5:45 AM
In the past I used to run a number of virtual machines, or dedicated hosts.  Currently I'm cut things down to only a single machine which I'm planning to remove.
Email
Email used to be hosted via dovecot, and then read with mutt-ng on the host itself.  Later I moved to reading mail with my own console-based email client.
Eventually I succumbed, and now I pay for Google's Workspace product.
Git Repositories
I used to use gitbucket for hosting a bunch of (mostly private) git repositories.  A ...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: corels 0.0.4 on CRAN: M1 Update
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/02/04#corels_0.0.4
February 5, 2022, 12:26 AM
An updated version of the corels package is now on CRAN! The ‘Certifiably Optimal RulE ListS (Corels)’ learner provides interpretable decision rules with an optimality guarantee.
The change is (just like the previous one) chiefly an update to configure.ac in order to ensure R on M1 macOS finds the locally-added GNU GMP. Our thanks to the infatiguable Brian Ripley for the heads-up even containing the two needed assignments to LD and CPPFLAGS..
If you like this or other open-source work I do, ...
--------------------
Louis-Philippe Véronneau: Migrating from ledger to hledger
https://veronneau.org/migrating-from-ledger-to-hledger.html
February 4, 2022, 9:15 PM
I first started using ledger — the original plain-text accounting
software — in 2017. Since then, I had been pretty happy with my
accounting routine, but grew a little annoyed by the repetitive manual work I
had to do to assign recurring transactions to the right account.
To make things easier, I had a collection of bash scripts to parse and convert
the CSV files from my bank's website1 into ledger entries. They were of
course ugly, unreadable piles of sed-grep-regex and did not let met achi...
--------------------
Ian Jackson: EUDCC QR codes vs NHS “Travel” barcodes vs TAC Verify
https://diziet.dreamwidth.org/10886.html
February 4, 2022, 7:43 PM
The EU Digital Covid Certificate scheme is a format for (digitally signed) vaccination status certificates. Not only EU countries participate - the UK is now a participant in this scheme.
I am currently on my way to go skiing in the French Alps. So I needed a certificate that would be accepted in France. AFAICT the official way to do this is to get the “international” certificate from the NHS, and take it to a French pharmacy who will convert it into something suitably French. (AIUI the NHS ...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds (diffoscope): diffoscope 203 released
https://diffoscope.org/news/diffoscope-203-released/
February 4, 2022, 12:00 AM
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of diffoscope
version 203. This version includes the following changes:
[ Chris Lamb ]
* Improve documentation for --timeout due to a few misconceptions.
  Add an allowed-to-fail test regarding a regression in directory handling.
* Tidy control flow in Difference._reverse_self a little.
[ Alyssa Ross ]
* Fix diffing CBFS names that contain spaces.
You find out more by visiting the project homepage....
--------------------
Sven Hoexter: Suntime Calculation with Lua and the Great Gift of Open Source
http://sven.stormbind.net/blog/posts/misc_suntime_calc_lua_and_greatfulness_of_oss/
February 3, 2022, 8:11 PM
tl;dr I ported a part of the python-suntime library to Lua to use it on OpenWRT and
RutOS powered devices. suntime.lua
There are those unremarkable things which let you pause for
a moment, and realize what a great gift of our time open source software
and open knowledge is. At some point in time someone figured out
how to calculate the sunrise and sunset time on the current date for
your location. Someone else wrote that up and probably again a different
person published it on the internet. Th...
--------------------
Norbert Preining: Mechanical keyboards: Pulsar PCMK
https://www.preining.info/blog/2022/02/mechanical-keyboards-pulsar-pcmk/
February 2, 2022, 1:07 PM
Mechanical keyboards – the big fat rabbit hole you can disappear … I started using mechanical keyboards about a year ago, with a Drevo Blademaster Pro (review coming up), but recently got a Pulsar PCML TKL keyboard in a build-it-yourself order.
The Drevo Blademaster Pro I am using is great, but doesn’t allow changing switches at all. So I was contemplating getting a mechanical keyboard that allows for arbitrary switches. My biggest problem here is that I am used to the Japanese JIS layout...
--------------------
Ben Hutchings: CI for the Debian kernel team
https://www.decadent.org.uk/ben/blog/ci-for-the-debian-kernel-team.html
February 2, 2022, 1:13 AM
Starting just after Christmas, I have been working on CI for all
  the kernel team's packages on Salsa.  The salsa-ci-team has done
  great work on producing a common pipeline that is usable for most
  packages with minimal configuration.  However, for some packages
  a lot more work was required.
Linux
  I started with the most important
  package, linux
  itself.  This now has about 1.1 GiB of source spread over 76,000
  source files.  That turns out to be a
  problem
  for the pipeline whic...
  releases.  I rebased the linux package on the latest 4.9-stable
  release, but did not yet upload it....
--------------------
Jonathan Dowland: Amateur archiving activities, January 2022
https://jmtd.net/log/archiving_jan_2022/
February 1, 2022, 9:01 PM
I have a backlog of digital stuff to upload to
archive.org that I'm finally starting to flush. I'd had
some difficulties in getting uploads to work until I tried using the excellent
ia CLI tool, which is packaged in
Debian.
In January 2022 I uploaded: two sets of multitracks from the 1981 album
My Life in the Bush of Ghosts by Brian Eno and David Byrne,
"A Secret Life" and
"Help Me Somebody";
28 cover disks from late 80s/early 90s issues of PC Plus, Pc Today, PC Zone
and Personal Computing; and...
--------------------
Russell Coker: First Flounder Meeting
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2022/02/01/first-flounder-meeting/
February 1, 2022, 10:09 AM
Based on a comment from my previous post [1] I have named the new FOSS group for Australia and NZ Flounder. Here is the link to the agenda for the first meeting [2].
I am currently using a DNS name in my own domain for the group, but in the near future I’ll move it to somewhere else under a zone I don’t control. My aim is not to have personal control but to create an organisation for the community. But at the moment I’m just doing things in the fastest way possible, I will setup HTTP redir...
--------------------
Junichi Uekawa: Already February.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/diary/daily/2022-Feb-1.html.en#2022-Feb-1-15:59:37
February 1, 2022, 6:59 AM
Already February. Surprising.
  I've been practicing Rust every day and I am getting more comfortable with Rust the language now.
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: #35: apt install rstudio quarto
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2022/01/31#035_apt_install_rstudio_quarto
February 1, 2022, 3:32 AM
Welcome to the 35th post in the ravishingly rabiant R recommendations, or R4. Today’s post is about apt and R tools.
Many of us have been running RStudio off our local machines for as long as binaries have been provided. Which is by now probably a bit over a decade. Time flies.
And as nice it is to have matching binaries, in my case in the .deb format used on Debian or Ubuntu, it is wee bit a painful to manually download a file and then install it. Twice the pain if you are lucky enough to be ...
Paul Wise: FLOSS Activities January 2022
http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2022/02/01/floss-activities/

Click here to read the complete article
1
rocksolid light 0.7.2