Subject: DNS over I2P
From: invalid@invalid.invalid (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 17:51 UTC
Does there is exist such service?

Subject: Re: DNS over I2P
From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 11:57 UTC

Is that not what all the i2p outproxies provide today already ? Or did I misread your question ?

Cheers

trw

Posted on def4

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 10:45 UTC
On 2019-04-12 11:57, you wrote:

Is that not what all the i2p outproxies provide today already ? Or did I
misread your question ?

I have no idea what provide "outproxy". Nevertheless, you need to resolve
remote domain name before get access. Proxy itself does not resolve.

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 20:42 UTC

you need to resolve remote domain name before get access. Proxy
itself does not resolve.

you can do the dns resolution yourself, but this can have undesired side effects (dns leaks), and can also break some sites.
therefore the usual setup is that the proxy manages the dns lookup for you. if you point your browser to 127.0.0.1:4444, this is exactly what happens if you request a url from the clearnet (the dns request is then forwarded from your i2p router to the outproxy, which takes care of it).
tools like wget or curl have settings for this.

if you mean that you want your system to do all dns lookups over i2p, that is something different of course. you can make that work over tor, but for i2p i don't know. maybe the usecase is not so common...

Posted on def4

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (John Doe)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 15:14 UTC
On 2019-04-13 20:42, you wrote:

you need to resolve remote domain name before get access. Proxy itself
does not resolve.

you can do the dns resolution yourself, but this can have undesired side
effects (dns leaks), and can also break some sites.

This is what I want prevent with i2p help.

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 14:14 UTC

afaik there is no dns service in i2p itself, most likely because there is no use case for i2p.
you can probably route your dns requests via i2p, which would result in an ouptproxy forwarding them (or sending them to tor and answering directly). not sure if that is wise choice, though.

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

From: AnonUser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (AnonUser) (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 22:09 UTC
DNS uses udp, which I think i2p doesn't handle.

It might work if you are running your own DNS server:

"The Zone Transfer feature of DNS Server will always use TCP protocol. The connection is established between the DNS Server to transfer the zone data and Source and Destination DNS Servers will make sure that data is consistent by using TCP ACK bit."

One issue is browsers that ignore your DNS setting. I think Chrome and maybe Firefox now do that.

--
Posted on RetroBBS

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 18:14 UTC
Blockchain DNS did not work for me at all over i2p.
Posted on: def3.i2p

From: AnonUser@rslight.i2p (AnonUser) (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 06:44 UTC
If some i2p destinations ran this on the server end and you ran it also on the client end maybe its one way

https://github.com/MarkoPaul0/DatagramTunneler

Simple cross-platform client/server program forwarding UDP datagrams through a TCP connection (aka tunnel). The client joins a multicast group and forwards the received datagrams to the server, which in turns multicasts them on its own subnet.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light.

1
rocksolid light 0.6.5e