Q: Why did the WASP cross the road? A: To get to the middle.

rocksolid / Rocksolid Network / Re: Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

SubjectAuthor
* Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbsMei
+* Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbsRetro Guy
|`* Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbsRetro Guy
| `* Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbsMei
|  +* Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbsRetro Guy
|  |`- Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbsRetro Guy
|  `- Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbsRetro Guy
`* Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbsRetro Guy
 +* Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbsanon
 |`- Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbsRetro Guy
 `* Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbsMei
  `* Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbsRetro Guy
   `* Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbsMei
    `* Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbsanon
     `- Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbsanon

1
Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

<e75cc364c2d4f2f2361b31a84dc25f94$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=190&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#190

From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Subject: Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 14:55:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mei - Sat, 25 Jan 2020 14:55 UTC

rslight.i2p and novabbs.i2p (which looks suspiciously similar, hmmm) both time out trying to view that group but no others I've noticed. retrobbs2.i2p works.

Also I did a search to see if novabbs was mentioned and found what looks like a thread called that in a poetry group. Trying to look into it got me a "No permission to read!
alt.arts.poetry.comments / Rocksolid Light - Rocksolid Groups"
http://rslight.i2p/index.php?content=%2Frocksolid%2Farticle-flat.php%3Fid%3D93564%26group%3Dalt.arts.poetry.comments%2393564

I hope you've missed me digging up breaky things, Retro Guy :D
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

Re: Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

<9e10cb1ec83dbf6d2b24c73b0a4332c1$1@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=191&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#191

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-bi7-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 23:11:52 +0000
To: Mei
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 25 Jan 2020 23:11 UTC

To: Mei
Mei wrote:

> rslight.i2p and novabbs.i2p (which looks suspiciously similar, hmmm) both time out trying to view that group but no others I've noticed. retrobbs2.i2p works.

> Also I did a search to see if novabbs was mentioned and found what looks like a thread called that in a poetry group. Trying to look into it got me a "No permission to read!
> alt.arts.poetry.comments / Rocksolid Light - Rocksolid Groups"
> http://rslight.i2p/index.php?content=%2Frocksolid%2Farticle-flat.php%3Fid%3D93564%26group%3Dalt.arts.poetry.comments%2393564

That's strange. Other groups work but not c.l.python. I need to dig into the logs to see what's wrong, but can't do that until tomorrow (big work night for me today).

a.a.p.comments works, but not that link. Was that a search from within rslight? If so, it could be a bug in that as search doesn't really work very well. I'll check into that also as soon as I can.

> I hope you've missed me digging up breaky things, Retro Guy :D

I appreciate the info when you find things. I have not noticed any groups not working so now I know there's a bug somewhere.

Thanks :)

Retro Guy

--
Posted on RetroBBS
www.rocksolidbbs.com

Re: Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

<3d999a8ddab2cb1a4306dab21519c62f$1@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=192&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#192

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-10qa-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 12:25:57 +0000
To: Retro Guy
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 26 Jan 2020 12:25 UTC

To: Retro Guy
Retro Guy wrote:

> Mei wrote:

>> rslight.i2p and novabbs.i2p (which looks suspiciously similar, hmmm) both time out trying to view that group but no others I've noticed. retrobbs2.i2p works.

Ok, I found the problem, but no real fix yet. The group seems to be working fine now as I've removed a problem message, but now need to patch rslight to not get stuck on such messages in the future.

The message had incorrect headers, but rslight should be able to notice that and not get stuck in a loop.

Once I patch the code (I know what's wrong now), I'll post what was wrong with the message headers of the one message, but for now c.l.python seems to be working fine.

>> Also I did a search to see if novabbs was mentioned and found what looks like a thread called that in a poetry group. Trying to look into it got me a "No permission to read!
>> alt.arts.poetry.comments / Rocksolid Light - Rocksolid Groups"
>> http://rslight.i2p/index.php?content=%2Frocksolid%2Farticle-flat.php%3Fid%3D93564%26group%3Dalt.arts.poetry.comments%2393564

> That's strange. Other groups work but not c.l.python. I need to dig into the logs to see what's wrong, but can't do that until tomorrow (big work night for me today).

> a.a.p.comments works, but not that link. Was that a search from within rslight? If so, it could be a bug in that as search doesn't really work very well. I'll check into that also as soon as I can.

I'll work on some more informative error messages in the future (no permission to read can happen for a variety of reasons).

Thanks again for feedback! It's appreciated :)

Retro Guy

--
Posted on RetroBBS
www.rocksolidbbs.com

Re: Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

<93d6813cabab175f4fc705c6e936c781$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=193&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#193

From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 06:24:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mei - Mon, 27 Jan 2020 06:24 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> To: Retro Guy
> Retro Guy wrote:

>> Mei wrote:

>>> rslight.i2p and novabbs.i2p (which looks suspiciously similar, hmmm) both time out trying to view that group but no others I've noticed. retrobbs2.i2p works.

> Ok, I found the problem, but no real fix yet. The group seems to be working fine now as I've removed a problem message, but now need to patch rslight to not get stuck on such messages in the future.

> The message had incorrect headers, but rslight should be able to notice that and not get stuck in a loop.

> Once I patch the code (I know what's wrong now), I'll post what was wrong with the message headers of the one message, but for now c.l.python seems to be working fine.
[suspense!]

>>> Also I did a search to see if novabbs was mentioned and found what looks like a thread called that in a poetry group. Trying to look into it got me a "No permission to read!
>>> alt.arts.poetry.comments / Rocksolid Light - Rocksolid Groups"
>>> http://rslight.i2p/index.php?content=%2Frocksolid%2Farticle-flat.php%3Fid%3D93564%26group%3Dalt.arts.poetry.comments%2393564

>> That's strange. Other groups work but not c.l.python. I need to dig into the logs to see what's wrong, but can't do that until tomorrow (big work night for me today).

>> a.a.p.comments works, but not that link. Was that a search from within rslight? If so, it could be a bug in that as search doesn't really work very well. I'll check into that also as soon as I can.
Yep, was a search using that little "search messages" button. Default setting, only typed "novabbs" and clicked what appeared to be the first message (no "Re:"). Original link was http://rslight.i2p/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=93564&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#93564
I get the same response for the others in that thread. Now this one has "novabbs" in the title too; search found it and the link to one of the posts in it did work.

> I'll work on some more informative error messages in the future (no permission to read can happen for a variety of reasons).
Why not just "Error (random number). Report this to admin. (no contact info)"

> Thanks again for feedback! It's appreciated :)
You're welcome to it! Besides, it's something to talk about for a little while :P

> Retro Guy

> --
> Posted on RetroBBS
> www.rocksolidbbs.com

Oh, and thanks for all your work. rslight looks and feels great!

...Well, except the 'too many attempts' thing but I expect that's an issue related to I2P (maybe looks like a single client to the rate-limiter or my connection to the node is just flaky and ends up spamming requests?). So not your fault! Probably. Maybe one of those elephants stepped on something important.
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

Re: Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

<004803108ce33fa515910570b7c003ed$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=194&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#194

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 07:26:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 27 Jan 2020 07:26 UTC

Mei wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:

>> To: Retro Guy
>> Retro Guy wrote:

>>> Mei wrote:

>>> a.a.p.comments works, but not that link. Was that a search from within rslight? If so, it could be a bug in that as search doesn't really work very well. I'll check into that also as soon as I can.
> Yep, was a search using that little "search messages" button. Default setting, only typed "novabbs" and clicked what appeared to be the first message (no "Re:"). Original link was http://rslight.i2p/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=93564&group=alt.arts.poetry.comments#93564
> I get the same response for the others in that thread. Now this one has "novabbs" in the title too; search found it and the link to one of the posts in it did work.

Ok, found the issue there. I had the group a.a.p.comments in my config list for some reason, so it would show the hits, but not let you read the group. So, 'no permission to read' was accurate this time. I removed that group from the list (It's in Arts).

Search still isn't very good, but working somewhat :)

>> I'll work on some more informative error messages in the future (no permission to read can happen for a variety of reasons).
> Why not just "Error (random number). Report this to admin. (no contact info)"

This is an error message from Newsportal, which rslight is based on. So far I haven't messed with it, but plan to in the future.

> Oh, and thanks for all your work. rslight looks and feels great!

> ...Well, except the 'too many attempts' thing but I expect that's an issue related to I2P (maybe looks like a single client to the rate-limiter or my connection to the node is just flaky and ends up spamming requests?). So not your fault! Probably. Maybe one of those elephants stepped on something important.

I think that's the case. I get that also when connecting many times. I might need to lighten up the restrictions in my i2p router a bit when I get a chance.

Thanks again and nice to have a few ppl hanging around!

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

<978c9d5b4d1e2b1adfad66566ad1920c$1@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=195&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#195

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-11jp-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 09:32:45 +0000
To: Retro Guy
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 28 Jan 2020 09:32 UTC

To: Retro Guy
Retro Guy wrote:

> Mei wrote:

>> Retro Guy wrote:

>>> To: Retro Guy

>> Oh, and thanks for all your work. rslight looks and feels great!

>> ...Well, except the 'too many attempts' thing but I expect that's an issue related to I2P (maybe looks like a single client to the rate-limiter or my connection to the node is just flaky and ends up spamming requests?). So not your fault! Probably. Maybe one of those elephants stepped on something important.

> I think that's the case. I get that also when connecting many times. I might need to lighten up the restrictions in my i2p router a bit when I get a chance.

I made some changes to that yesterday. Hopefully that will happen less often now.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on RetroBBS
www.rocksolidbbs.com

Re: Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

<69ee3a91888094a81076814993e811b7$1@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=196&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#196

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-11jp-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 09:34:59 +0000
To: Mei
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 28 Jan 2020 09:34 UTC

To: Mei
Mei wrote:

> Retro Guy wrote:

>> To: Retro Guy
>> Retro Guy wrote:

>> Ok, I found the problem, but no real fix yet. The group seems to be working fine now as I've removed a problem message, but now need to patch rslight to not get stuck on such messages in the future.

>> The message had incorrect headers, but rslight should be able to notice that and not get stuck in a loop.

>> Once I patch the code (I know what's wrong now), I'll post what was wrong with the message headers of the one message, but for now c.l.python seems to be working fine.
> [suspense!]

I believe I have fixed this bug now. Here's what caused it:

If a message 'References' header contained the message id of the message itself, a php script would get caught in a loop trying to thread the messages.

I now check for that and avoid the issue.

Thanks!

Retro Guy

--
Posted on RetroBBS
www.rocksolidbbs.com

Re: Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

<5142c7535126eea9a7cc5f8cec8feb3e$1@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=197&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#197

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-ex3-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 10:00:59 +0000
To: Mei
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 28 Jan 2020 10:00 UTC

To: Mei
Mei wrote:

> I hope you've missed me digging up breaky things, Retro Guy :D

We're going to need to call it:

rslight by Retro Guy, debugged by Mei

:)

Retro Guy

--
Posted on RetroBBS
www.rocksolidbbs.com

Re: Can&#39;t access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

<60ccd349a7639ba57e9c75330324e61e@def4>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=198&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#198

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Subject: Re: Can&#39;t access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 18:01:45+0000
 by: anon - Tue, 28 Jan 2020 18:01 UTC

>If a message 'References' header contained the message id of the message itself, a php script would get caught in a loop trying to thread the messages.

I think this is a classic bug if there is one. Just wonder what is the reason to write such a message in the first place ?

Posted on def4

Re: Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

<cf890ecdc1a79f87b613377d8203101b$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=199&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#199

From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 23:06:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mei - Tue, 28 Jan 2020 23:06 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> To: Mei
> Mei wrote:

>> I hope you've missed me digging up breaky things, Retro Guy :D

> We're going to need to call it:

> rslight by Retro Guy, debugged by Mei

> :)

> Retro Guy

> --
> Posted on RetroBBS
> www.rocksolidbbs.com

Oh, you. I just go looking around for things to mess with, you do the debugging :P Besides, I can't be seen messing with PHP. What would the scammers think?!

Debugging the lack of activity, THAT would be worthy of some credit :D I guess I could try starting a political argument. Haaaaaaa! :P
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

Re: Can&#39;t access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

<401672128aa0c592518334a0d560193c$1@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=200&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#200

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-hb4-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 00:41:46 +0000
To: anon
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 29 Jan 2020 00:41 UTC

To: anon
anon wrote:

>>If a message 'References' header contained the message id of the message itself, a php script would get caught in a loop trying to thread the messages.

> I think this is a classic bug if there is one. Just wonder what is the reason to write such a message in the first place ?

Exactly. Such a message shouldn't exist but must be planned for.

This was a post titled 'posted via a python script'. Someone was playing with writing a script to post and most likely did this by mistake. His second message had a different References header.

Other readers had no problem, but rslight timed out on it but it's fixed now.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on RetroBBS
www.rocksolidbbs.com

Re: Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

<0e474d977c79c87b571ab55d14226408$1@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=201&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#201

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-dqz-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 09:30:28 +0000
To: Mei
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 29 Jan 2020 09:30 UTC

To: Mei
Mei wrote:

> Debugging the lack of activity, THAT would be worthy of some credit :D I guess I could try starting a political argument. Haaaaaaa! :P

Whether any more users come to rocksolid or not, I don't know. Either way, it's fun to maintain, grow and work on interfaces even if not many see it.

<sarcasm>It's just a federated group of forums with multiple ways to connect, that continues even if 90% of the interfaces go away. You know, just like all the other past forums that just disappear one day and all messages are gone :)</sarcasm>

Retro Guy

--
Posted on RetroBBS
www.rocksolidbbs.com

Re: Can't access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

<44ed6159607ef51f5b65a0c2f4bb8d99$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=202&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#202

From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 15:16:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mei - Wed, 29 Jan 2020 15:16 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:
> Whether any more users come to rocksolid or not, I don't know. Either way, it's fun to maintain, grow and work on interfaces even if not many see it.

Imagine all the wonderful complaints you'll get when there are thousands of people on here!

> <sarcasm>It's just a federated group of forums with multiple ways to connect, that continues even if 90% of the interfaces go away. You know, just like all the other past forums that just disappear one day and all messages are gone :)</sarcasm>

Boooriiing! Just another federated forum thing, psh :P

I'll go ahead and hope it does better than Syndie and some others :) I guess FMS is still going, if you count that... maybe the quiet isn't so bad!
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

Re: Can&#39;t access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

<4d1c44099a556cb558a7bddafae27241@def4>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=203&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#203

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 19:47:35+0000
 by: anon - Wed, 29 Jan 2020 19:47 UTC

>I'll go ahead and hope it does better than Syndie and some others :)

I think rocksolid is leading: we have 5 users, Syndie has 3.

It's still fun to build and maintain it. Maybe we will grow one day, maybe not. What is always striking me is how many lurkers we have (you can see this on def4).

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: Can&amp;#39;t access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs

<33a7f7d9bde641aab7e3d6cbfa12bf7d@def4>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=204&group=rocksolid.shared.rocksolid#204

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Subject: Re: Can&amp;#39;t access comp.lang.python on rslight/novabbs
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 19:48:38+0000
 by: anon - Wed, 29 Jan 2020 19:48 UTC

>(you can see this on def4).

I meant def3, of course, def4 is not showing any stats.

Posted on def4