From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Subject: degree of anonymity
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 23:39:48 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 23 Sep 2020 06:39 UTC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree_of_anonymity
has anybody ever analysed tor & i2p about their degree of anonymity yet?
kind of worried about if these programs can be worth it
any rules of thumb for i2p & tor?

--
Posted on def2

Re: degree of anonymity

<rkeunm$plj$1@shakotay.alphanet.ch>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=153&group=rocksolid.shared.security#153

From: schaefer@alphanet.ch (Marc SCHAEFER)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Subject: Re: degree of anonymity
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 09:50:14 +0200 (CEST)
 by: Marc SCHAEFER - Wed, 23 Sep 2020 07:50 UTC

Anonymous <poster@anon.com> wrote:
> has anybody ever analysed tor & i2p about their degree of anonymity yet?
> kind of worried about if these programs can be worth it
> any rules of thumb for i2p & tor?

You need to do this analysis separately for the network anonymizing part
(tor or i2p) and the tools you use to access it.

Your web browser might be much more telling than the choosen anonymizing
network.

Re: degree of anonymity

<499e3e07c244e4df75f7ac5baf9c03fb$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=154&group=rocksolid.shared.security#154

From: rslightuser@rslight.i2p (rslightuser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 08:37:39 +0000
 by: rslightuser - Wed, 23 Sep 2020 08:37 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree_of_anonymity
> has anybody ever analysed tor & i2p about their degree of anonymity yet?
> kind of worried about if these programs can be worth it
> any rules of thumb for i2p & tor?

I think they're definitely worth it to improve anonymity, but never to guarantee it. The weakest link is the user.

My thougts follow but I'm no expert, just a user

1. Don't use Microsoft Windows, run an open source os.
2. Encrypt everything.
3. Run a dedicated system or at the very least, a dedicated vm for using tor or i2p. I wouldn't really be comfortable in a vm, but it's better than your real system.
4. Never use the same browser (really even system) for your rl stuff and your tor or i2p browser.
5. Never use an online account through tor or i2p that is linked to you. Never use names or anything else that can be linked to you. Never discuss anything that can be linked to you. This is the most common way people are found out in darknets.
6. Lot's more stuff that I'll leave to others to talk about.

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

has anyone ever ?

<opsec.729.1bdo7m@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=155&group=rocksolid.shared.security#155

From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Subject: has anyone ever ?
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 11:58:08 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 24 Sep 2020 18:58 UTC

>has anybody ever analysed tor & i2p about their degree of anonymity yet?

tor is very well researched by now, with many papers on possible attacks and other interesting stuff.

i2p on the other hand is much less researched (because much less known).

i agree to the concrete recommendations of the previous posts, and i would like to add:

it depends a lot on what you want to achieve and who your (potential) enemy is,
if you want to look a pron pics without your parents internetfilter screwing it up for you, either one is fine (I mean tor or i2p).
if you want to do the Assange thing, none of them will be enough.
if you want to run a darknet market for drugs or weapons, i2p is safer imo, but will also attract less customers.

so it all depends on what you want and who is after you.

--
Posted on def2

comparison server vs user

<opsec.730.1i6zr3@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=156&group=rocksolid.shared.security#156

From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Subject: comparison server vs user
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 12:05:33 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 24 Sep 2020 19:05 UTC

another angle to look at is: are you browsing/getting content or are you offering some service (a website, for example).
ihmo the usage of the torbrowser on onion sites is safer than the usage of $browser plugged into the i2p proxy.
on the other hand running a service and concealing your identity over a longer time period is better achieved with i2p.
i think it is due to the design: i2p was made for this, while for tor it an addon.

--
Posted on def2

http://dropbox.i2p/?gSC3wMKGuRchuL9a6WpcGxxeZKG

<opsec.751.ilnji@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=177&group=rocksolid.shared.security#177

From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Subject: http://dropbox.i2p/?gSC3wMKGuRchuL9a6WpcGxxeZ
KG
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 14:38:13 -0800
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 11 Dec 2020 22:38 UTC

>>860e3ec0bf5cfe4d57
>has anybody ever analysed tor & i2p about their degree of anonymity yet?
please see a document with some answers here: