Subject: Re: spoolnews update
From: admin@neodome.net (Neodome Admin)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 06:54 BST
Neodome Admin <admin@neodome.net> wrote:
Retro Guy <retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-sc8-this> wrote:
To: rocksolid.nodes
I've made a change to spoolnews that will help with an issue I've been
aware of when first running it.

It has been saving articles with a timestamp of when they're saved (of
course), but this is an issue for overboard and possibly other things.
Overboard would read this as they are all new articles initially, and
display them. I've been aware of this, but only addressed it now.

Now, spoolnews reads the Date line in the article, and sets the file
timestamp to match. So now when running the first time, your spool will
have correct dates right from the start.

Date header is not always valid. NNTP-Posting-Date should be valid, because
it’s created by server,

Correction: Injection-Date, not NNTP-Posting-Date. NNTP-Posting-Date is the
same thing, but Injection-Date is what documented in last RFC.

but Date can be created by client, and not all
servers validate it. In my logs I see few articles being rejected by my
server because of invalid Date. I guess it’s up to you if you want to
support articles with invalid Date headers.

I still need to handle timezones, but just testing a bit before that next
step (which should be pretty simple).

Retro Guy

--
Neodome

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 09:43 BST
Neodome Admin wrote:

Neodome Admin <admin@neodome.net> wrote:
Retro Guy <retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-sc8-this> wrote:
Now, spoolnews reads the Date line in the article, and sets the file timestamp to match. So now when running the first time, your spool will have correct dates right from the start.

Date header is not always valid. NNTP-Posting-Date should be valid, because
it’s created by server,

Correction: Injection-Date, not NNTP-Posting-Date. NNTP-Posting-Date is the
same thing, but Injection-Date is what documented in last RFC.

Very true. What the script does is reads the date line, then continues through the headers and when/if it finds Injection-Date, that is what is used. Any date in the future is saved as the current time, not the date in the header.

This can be improved, but for now it should be ok. It's simply for sorting of messages in the overboard. Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

1
rocksolid light 0.6.4d