Subject: Re: nice work on the overboard for rslight
From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 04:43 BST
On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 20:08:52 -0700
Retro Guy <retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com> wrote:

This version (0.6.3), should be installed as new and configured. There
are a lot of config file changes, and some css file changes as well.
Also, it enforces the new structure of config being outside of web
accessible directories (default /etc/rslight/) Spoolnews will run
there also, so your spool would be /etc/rslight/spoolnews/articles/*,
which is where overboard will look if you enable spoolnews.

I realize /etc/ isn't the best place, but I really don't want to have
rslight scattered all over the file system. Just /etc/rslight and the
web root. If this is a really bad idea, let me know now because I plan
to release this way unless a better idea is brought to my attention.

The more I think about it, partitions may limit /etc. Maybe I just just
write the spool to /var/spool/news/articles. If you need spoolnews, I
would assume there is nothing in that directory anyway.

I'll think about this some more.

Retro Guy

From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 10:22 BST
why not use /tmp for the overboard ?
Posted on def3

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 09:16 BST
trw wrote:

why not use /tmp for the overboard ?
Posted on def3

I thought about that, but was concerned it could be deleted on a reboot or whatever. I think I'm going to go with /var/spool/news/articles.

In any case, it can easily be changed in the script if someone wants to put it somewhere else.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

From: Retro Guy@example.com (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 12:34 BST
rslight 0.6.3 is very close to release.

I installed a clean Debian vm and installed and configured there. Just making final checks to try not to overlook any packages that may need to be installed.

So far just php-mbstring and sharutils.

This is meant to be a new install, it would be harder to upgrade than to just install 0.6.3 and configure. Install and set up should be easy. Took me less than 5 minutes from untar to viewing messages. Spoolnews is also included in the download.

Should be ready soon (next few days).

Retro Guy
--
Posted with Rocksolid Light

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 12:40 BST
Retro Guy wrote:

This is meant to be a new install, it would be harder to upgrade than to just install 0.6.3 and configure. Install and set up should be easy. Took

Also, registered usernames will not be affected. If you already have a userbase, I provide a script to quickly add keys to each user to support encrypted messages. It's a one time run script to just bring already registered users up to date.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 05:32 GMT
I've been working on the overboard to work with a list of groups not in the same hierarchy, and I think it's working now.

Originally I only had it running for rocksolid groups on rslight, as it's all one hierarchy, but wanted to add it to the other areas that are usenet groups and not the same hierarchy.

It seems to be working but I'll continue to test. It was more difficult than I anticipated lol. Also, it no longer requires a list of groups in a file to search through, it simply uses the same group file as rslight and ignores the lines that are not group names.

Hopefully it will work well.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy) (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 10:35 GMT
I now hopefully have a new mod to overboard working.

There should be a link on the top of the threads list for any group you are
visiting. If you click it, you should see an overboard for just that group.

The link above the group names will still list recent messages for all the
groups in the list.

We'll see what bugs show up soon :)

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 22:25 GMT
Looks good. I am not sure the term "overboard" applies any longer, though. At least my understanding was that an overboard gives a general overview about several individual boards (or groups).
Posted on def3

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 23:02 GMT
trw wrote:

Looks good. I am not sure the term "overboard" applies any longer, though. At
least my understanding was that an overboard gives a general overview about
several individual boards (or groups).
Posted on def3

I think you are right :) But the script is named overboard.php so it thinks
it's an overboard, lol.

I found that listing the latest messages for 30 or so usenet groups was a bit
messy (there are a lot of messages). You can still do that from the groups
window, but if you are following particular groups, it might be nice to see the
latest in just the group you choose. Also, it was fun to modify the script to
handle that.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on RetroBBS

From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 23:30 GMT
I found that listing the latest messages for 30 or so usenet groups was a bit messy

I did that on def4 in the beginning. Makes the overboard somewhat useless imo, as you will never a thread again. Like an IRC channel with 1000+ users. :)
Posted on def3

Pages:12
rocksolid light 0.6.4d
clearnet i2p tor