From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Subject: Why Computers have Fingerprints?
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 12:35:25 -0500
 by: Guest - Wed, 6 Nov 2019 17:35 UTC

There is this notions that if you have all the info available you can take control. Knowledge is power. Hogwash... if you are the nerdy kid you know that jocks can take your lunch any day.

If you are not familiar with Radio Laws, they are extremely strict. You are not allowed to sing even "Happy Birthday" to a friend let alone encrypt communication. Yeah... laws are ment to be broke.

In the 1980's Radio People (independent non-comercial operators also known by the derogatory term "amateurs") suffered an encrochement on their frequencies that piss them off realy bad. The comercial Radio/TV lobbied the government to reduce the free radio bandwidth.

The retaliation by the Amateurs was brutal. Military communications were decripted (analog at the time) and posted on BBS's or newsletters (Wikileaks is softporn...realy). Terminals and computers were used to hack NASA, DoD, major banks etc.... TV and Radio Broadcasts were hijacked from time to time for a few minutes.

Botom line... the slavers got creamed. There was a reversion in the FCC alocations and things cooled off... but a decision to insert fingerprints in the future computers was made and those who did not comply got shut down. The communication manufacturing was moved to Finland untill those guys became extremely dangerous and now is in China (don't bitch I know ALL the other locations but I had to make the story simple).

Do computer fingerprints work? Is there less computer crime?... This shit benefits only some selected manufacturers who run by the motto: keep them stupid and pregnant.

I do remember reading some of the spy-planes reports on BBS's. The TV ocasional TV interruptions too.

ATtention DialTone ATDT...

Forgot to mention that if I order parts in my name even today after more than 30 years they do arrive damaged. What the Hell is a straw purchase anyway?
You know that your parents lied when they told you they walked to school 3km uphill both ways. I fox-hunted the school bus through 1 meter of snow... lol.
Posted on def3

Re: Why Computers have Fingerprints?

<197abdbc7a08e335a2754cdd2abdf87e$1@retrobbs.i2p>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=67&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#67

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-tec-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Subject: Re: Why Computers have Fingerprints?
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 22:07:37 +0000
To: Guest
 by: AnonUser - Wed, 6 Nov 2019 22:07 UTC

To: Guest
>If you are not familiar with Radio Laws, they are extremely strict.
>let alone encrypt communication
I never understood this... it is also one of the reasons I never bothered
to get into radio even though that's something that _would have_
interested me if it wasn't regulated to death.

>Do computer fingerprints work?
Yes and no. Yes, it makes it easier to track you. No, because anyone worth
their salt knows how to avoid being tracked.

Also consider involuntary fingerprints due to bad design. That is, your
operating system building up TCP connections a certain way which can be
used to determine the operating system you are using. Think also about the
various ways in which modern web browsers leak information about your
system.

All all those together and you've got a unique identifier.
--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: Why Computers have Fingerprints?

<qqelsb$ead$1@i2pn2.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=68&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#68

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 11:16:12 -0500
 by: Guest - Tue, 12 Nov 2019 16:16 UTC

They have what you said for nuclear submarines and some other war hardware. For most things the License Plate method is used (Watermarking based on a browser fingerprint for example). Just so you know a human fingerprint takes 2 weeks to get through the FBI database with 150 matches... Computer fingerprints can be changed easily so it would be a nightmare if you do not change them. I do change them every time I post to this forum anyway.
Posted on def3

Re: Why Computers have Fingerprints?

<dd716231f0ff89f670047060ef50b96d$1@retrobbs.i2p>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=69&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#69

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-fjz-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 23:22:55 +0000
To: Guest
 by: AnonUser - Wed, 13 Nov 2019 23:22 UTC

To: Guest
having an unchanging and common fingerprint is better than changing your
fingerprint. that's what the tor browser does. i would not bother with
customizing the browser yourself, there are simply too many ways it is
possible
to leak information.

an example is webrtc. if you leave it enabled by mistake and visit a
website
through tor and have js enabled, then any website can deanonymize you.
that's
just one example of many.
--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: Why Computers have Fingerprints?

<qqi8o5$2kh$1@i2pn2.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=70&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#70

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 19:56:38 -0500
 by: Guest - Thu, 14 Nov 2019 00:56 UTC

I got taken through Tor Browser (which I consider a piece of crap) by a factor of 5 compared to other browsers. True last time 2 weeks ago it was through Chromium. I also got taken through Chrome about 3 times a week in Chrome OS (many years ago).

Think about it like this: If you rob a bank you want your getaway ride to be common but not the same to the point that the bank knows what you might do and how to track or hack you!
Posted on def3

Re: Why Computers have Fingerprints?

<qqkitn$4b4$1@i2pn2.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=71&group=rocksolid.shared.entertainment#71

From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.entertainment
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 17:02:32 -0500
 by: trw - Thu, 14 Nov 2019 22:02 UTC

>Tor Browser (which I consider a piece of crap)

Why ? And what is a better alternative ? And why ?
Posted on def3