The biggest mistake you can make is to believe that you are working for someone else.

rocksolid / Rocksolid Nodes Announce / Re: Next minor changes to rslight

SubjectAuthor
* Next minor changes to rslightRetro Guy
+* Next minor changes to rslightAnonymous
|`* Next minor changes to rslightRetro Guy
| `* Next minor changes to rslightAnonymous
|  `- Next minor changes to rslightRetro Guy
+- Next minor changes to rslightRetro Guy
`* Next minor changes to rslightRetro Guy
 `* Next minor changes to rslightRetro Guy
  `* Next minor changes to rslightRetro Guy
   `- Next minor changes to rslightRetro Guy

1
Next minor changes to rslight

<85a7a5751d6885240e60905075251206$1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=400&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#400

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Next minor changes to rslight
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 01:40:58 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 14 Apr 2021 01:40 UTC

It seems right now that no major bugs are showing themselves in rslight, which is nice. Of course, there are still things I want to improve (not new features right now, just improvements). Here's is what I plan to work on over the next couple of weeks:

1. Take the hostname out of the message id and use 'email_tail' variable to end msgid. Right now, you can tell what network a user connected from by reading the message id. So if a site is available in more than one network, it's exposed there. The posting site will always announce itself, but the network used will not. Spoofing a site is already handled by internal keys.

2. Give more options of where to 'return' to after posting. Now it goes to the group, but you may wish to go back to overboard or somewhere else. I need to make this more versatile.

3. Clean up the page header. It's ugly :) For one thing, if you are only hosting one 'section', there really doesn't need to be a link for it at top. I'm not good with html/css formatting, so this will take me some time.

4. Stop creating empty databases for groups listed in Newsgroups: header that are not available on the site. This happens now and it's harmless, but it's also not necessary.

5. More minor stuff that I can't think of right now.

Hopefully I'll have time to work on these without being interrupted by some major thing :)

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Next minor changes to rslight

<na.1124.1w3qae@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=401&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#401

From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: Next minor changes to rslight
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 04:28:53 -0700
logging-data="8800"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.org"
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 14 Apr 2021 11:28 UTC

From running def4 on rslight for a while now, I can confirm that there is no major bug showing up (still could be there, of course, but for now, this machine just runs).
It also installed easily, using the script. The only thing you might want to look into is the setup of the cronjobs, which did not work for me for some reason (so the cronjob was installed via crontab, but there was just nothing happening). Might be machine specific as well, anyway I ended up with running a bash script :-).
Other than this, all good.

cheers

trw

--
Posted on def2

Re: Next minor changes to rslight

<d79a235561420740358e42eb06f8c18b$1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=402&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#402

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 08:30:07 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 15 Apr 2021 08:30 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> From running def4 on rslight for a while now, I can confirm that there is no major bug showing up (still could be there, of course, but for now, this machine just runs).
> It also installed easily, using the script.

Thanks for the nice comments, I'm glad it's running smoothly :)

> The only thing you might want to look into is the setup of the cronjobs, which did not work for me for some reason (so the cronjob was installed via crontab, but there was just nothing happening). Might be machine specific as well, anyway I ended up with running a bash script :-).

That's strange, I haven't noticed any issues with that, but of course I'm really the only one running rslight other than yourself (that I'm aware of anyway).

Can you tell me was it in the crontab for root? This is necessary. It starts as root to create directories if necessary, and to start the nntp server daemon. Also, cron.php must be run from $webroot/spoolnews as 'php $config_dir/scripts/cron.php' Here's my crontab entry for one of my sites:
*/5 * * * * cd /var/www/news/spoolnews ; bash -lc "php /etc/rslight/scripts/cron.php" >/dev/null 2>&1

Any hints of what might have been wrong are appreciated. I'd like to fix something like that if I can pin down the problem.

Reminds me also, you previously mentioned that nocem.php complained about no gnupg, so I still need to just make that script immediately exit if nocem is disabled. I'll add that to my current list of minor fixes.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Next minor changes to rslight

<ed089fe155075f9de728f9c98c1a3f32$1@fev4bgoasgxttqb3x3tukxxia6lwryteq6a2ramqb2gjiol3zbu6xaid.onion>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=403&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#403

From: Anonymous@rslight.i2p (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 16:17:00 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 15 Apr 2021 16:17 UTC

this is my crontab:

*/5 * * * * cd /var/spool/news/rslight_webroot/spoolnews ; bash -lc "php /etc/rslight/scripts/cron.php"
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Next minor changes to rslight

<14c05d19e791ae4556dd547d261424b5$1@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=404&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#404

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 20:15:29 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 15 Apr 2021 20:15 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> this is my crontab:

> */5 * * * * cd /var/spool/news/rslight_webroot/spoolnews ; bash -lc "php /etc/rslight/scripts/cron.php"

If you are serving web pages from that location, then that should work.

The directory you list as: '/var/spool/news/rslight_webroot/spoolnews' should be where rslight web scripts are installed. So you should have:
/var/spool/news/rslight_webroot/index.php
/var/spool/news/rslight_webroot/common
/var/spool/news/rslight_webroot/rocksolid
/var/spool/news/rslight_webroot/spoolnews

and be running 'php /etc/rslight/scripts/*.php' from the spoolnews directory.

You can also manually cd to that location and as root run 'php /etc/rslight/scripts/cron.php' and see if any errors are echoed.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Next minor changes to rslight

<3b944f5f5bc62affd5fcf4f9fbf6f94b@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=405&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#405

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 02:28:24 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 16 Apr 2021 02:28 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> 1. Take the hostname out of the message id and use 'email_tail' variable to end msgid. Right now, you can tell what network a user connected from by reading the message id. So if a site is available in more than one network, it's exposed there. The posting site will always announce itself, but the network used will not. Spoofing a site is already handled by internal keys.

I believe this is done. It was simple, so simple maybe I didn't even change it :)

Anyway, if the msgid for this post does not indicate I'm posting via tor in the Message-ID, then it worked.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Next minor changes to rslight

<e04ee18da043947dd8076ed531d0ccd2@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=406&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#406

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 08:17:38 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 17 Apr 2021 08:17 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> 2. Give more options of where to 'return' to after posting. Now it goes to the group, but you may wish to go back to overboard or somewhere else. I need to make this more versatile.

This is now working. You should have access to the group and section from the header, and the generated link will take you back to your previous page. So if you started a new thread, you go back to the threads page, if you replied to an article, you go back to the thread.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Next minor changes to rslight

<0d5b4f624d9b8a0994f3afe39dd1711b@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=407&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#407

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 05:28:20 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 21 Apr 2021 05:28 UTC

I found a minor bug in rslight-lib.php which really doesn't affect the interface at all, only maybe some newsreader clients.

I finxed the bug and in the process did some cleaning up of the script. Searching by msgid via news client should work much better now (faster).
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Next minor changes to rslight

<c1b5326d3e0cb90fabd2d01680f304ef@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=408&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#408

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 07:24:25 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 07:24 UTC

I found an issue that only appears in php > 7.0. At this point, I'm still not sure what is different, but I was able to make things work properly in the newer php.

This relates to spoolnews.php, and only appears when initially creating groups. On a plus note, the fix fixes the minor issue where it starts to pull articles (during initial pull only) after the first batch where it would start from one message number back. So spoolnews.log would always show the first article as a duplicate. This is now fixed.

I need to keep looking into why this broke spoolnews in php > 7.0. It doesn't now, but I'm not thrilled with the fact I don't really know what the real cause of the issue was.

Anyway, it's working fine now.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Next minor changes to rslight

<1f80be5e0e71fa4dd97068f00eb4656f@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=409&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#409

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 1 May 2021 10:56:48 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Sat, 1 May 2021 10:56 UTC

I still have #3 and #4 to work on, but haven't yet. Soon, I hope.

I did add one minor feature as I was curious how accurate it would be. rslight now displays the number of active users at the bottom of the groups and threads pages.

This is users active within the past 10 minutes, and they must have clicked to view a thread or a message. Once they haven't done either of those in 10 minutes, they drop off (are not counted).

I'm not sure 10 minutes is the best choice, but it's what I'm using now and it's easy to change.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on Rocksolid Light