User hostile.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Printer icon in system tray

SubjectAuthor
* Printer icon in system trayAlan Holbrook
+* Re: Printer icon in system trayknuttle
|`* Re: Printer icon in system trayEd Cryer
| `- Re: Printer icon in system trayAlan Holbrook
+- Re: Printer icon in system tray...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
`- Re: Printer icon in system trayJohn C.

1
Printer icon in system tray

<XnsB1446352AD650isaaclaqudemgmailcom@69.80.102.85>

  copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80483&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80483

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Printer icon in system tray
From: no.thanks@lets.not (Alan Holbrook)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 13:45:47 +0000
 by: Alan Holbrook - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 13:45 UTC

I have a printer icon in my system tray. When I hover over it, it says
there is 1 document pending for user. When I bring up the dialog by
clicking on the icon, I try to cancel the documeny either by clicking on
'printer-->cancel all documents' or 'document--> cancel'. The status in
the dialog says it's canceling but nothing happens and the printer icon
remains in the sytem tray. Any idea of why this is happening?

Re: Printer icon in system tray

<uu6mq9$c56s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80485&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80485

From: keith_nuttle@yahoo.com (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Printer icon in system tray
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 11:30:16 -0400
 by: knuttle - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 15:30 UTC

On 03/29/2024 9:45 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> I have a printer icon in my system tray. When I hover over it, it says
> there is 1 document pending for user. When I bring up the dialog by
> clicking on the icon, I try to cancel the documeny either by clicking on
> 'printer-->cancel all documents' or 'document--> cancel'. The status in
> the dialog says it's canceling but nothing happens and the printer icon
> remains in the sytem tray. Any idea of why this is happening?
it may be that the printer has to be attached for it to be cancelled.
ie it is in the printer, and the computer has not been told else otherwise.

Re: Printer icon in system tray

<uu6t58$docb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80488&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80488

From: winstonmvp@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 10:18:31 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 17:18 UTC

Alan Holbrook wrote on 3/29/24 6:45 AM:
> I have a printer icon in my system tray. When I hover over it, it says
> there is 1 document pending for user. When I bring up the dialog by
> clicking on the icon, I try to cancel the documeny either by clicking on
> 'printer-->cancel all documents' or 'document--> cancel'. The status in
> the dialog says it's canceling but nothing happens and the printer icon
> remains in the sytem tray. Any idea of why this is happening?

In an Admin account:

Windows Services
- Stop Print Spooler

File Explorer
C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS
- delete all files

Note: For the latter, File Explorer may need to be configured to show
Hidden and Protected folders

Retest - send document to printer
- the printer icon in the TaskBar(or Systray) should appear and once
printing is done, disappear

If the above works, then the issue is with the print que not resetting or
temp file not closed in the spool/Printers folder.
If the symptom reoccurs, the printer drivers may need to be clean
reinstalled.
--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Printer icon in system tray

<uu77q6$gb4i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80499&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80499

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 20:20:05 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 20:20 UTC

knuttle wrote:
> it may be that the printer has to be attached for it to be cancelled. ie
> it is in the printer, and the computer has not been told else otherwise.

It sounds like an HP printer to me. I've seen this behaviour before,
your suggestion has been the solution.

May I take this moment to have a rant against insufficient testing?
Things like that require breadth of outlook in the programmer; not just
an appreciation of the immediate environment, but an ability to walk
around it and employ reason and foresight to forestall the likely user
problems.
This ability seems to me to be coming rarer and rarer with the current
generation. OK, so you find and angel now and again; someone who
displays all the optimal qualities and abilities, but they are an
exception to the norm. Dull wits are the norm.

Dull wits are especially observable in the receptionists of the NHS
telephone service. They are used to keep the public at bay. Some poor
sap gets given the job of phone-answering, while all the sick people
phone in and ask for help; but she hums and ahs, and displays the
cerebral abilities of a microbe. And the callers just give up and ring off.
And when I turn up at the dentists office or GP surgery, the bird-brain
in reception has two other women beside her who are bright and normal.
So why is the dim spark answering phones? Because that allows the two
others to sit and chat together, occasionally answering some doctor's
call from their workplace.

Dull-witted receptionists can even employ the telephone-answering
service which progresses through "you are no 5 in the queue, you are no
4 in the queue..... down to no 1; when you hear a click followed by "you
are no 5 in the queue" ....
Poor stressed-out NHS employees! Having to abuse technology to keep the
sick people at bay!

Ed

Re: Printer icon in system tray

<XnsB14536F2B531Disaaclaqudemgmailcom@69.80.102.85>

  copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80516&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80516

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: no.thanks@lets.not (Alan Holbrook)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 09:24:02 +0000
 by: Alan Holbrook - Sat, 30 Mar 2024 09:24 UTC

Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote in

> May I take this moment to have a rant against insufficient testing?
> Things like that require breadth of outlook in the programmer; not
> just an appreciation of the immediate environment, but an ability to
> walk around it and employ reason and foresight to forestall the likely
> user problems.

Ed, as a retired professional in the software development industry, may I
congratulate you on your comment and heartely second it. I worked in both
development and software support, and observed this deficiency regularly.
Too often, software QA and QC is the punchline to a bad joke.

Re: Printer icon in system tray

<uuc7ou$1toff$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80574&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#80574

From: r9jmg0@yahoo.com (John C.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 10:50:20 -0700
 by: John C. - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 17:50 UTC

Alan Holbrook wrote:
> I have a printer icon in my system tray. When I hover over it, it says
> there is 1 document pending for user. When I bring up the dialog by
> clicking on the icon, I try to cancel the documeny either by clicking on
> 'printer-->cancel all documents' or 'document--> cancel'. The status in
> the dialog says it's canceling but nothing happens and the printer icon
> remains in the sytem tray. Any idea of why this is happening?

Go here:

https://epson.com/Support/Scanners/Perfection-Series/Epson-Perfection-V39-II/s/SPT_B11B268201

to get the right driver. Microsoft tries to include drivers for most
stuff with the OS, but they can't cover everything.

--
John C.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Printer icon in system tray