From: bencollver@tilde.pink (Ben Collver)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Another Open Source DOS
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 15:40:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ben Collver - Fri, 3 May 2024 15:40 UTC

Here's an article from Jim Hall on what the release of MS-DOS 4.0 source
means for FreeDOS, and why it is good for everyone.

Another open source DOS: A new reference for how MS-DOS worked under the hood
Microsoft has released MS-DOS 4.00 under an open source license.
By Jim Hall

I got my early start in desktop computing by programming in BASIC on
the Apple II computer. But most of my computer experience in the
1980s and into the 1990s was with DOS, the Disk Operating System for
the original IBM Personal Computer, dating back to 1981.

What is DOS?
============
If you haven't used DOS, it was a 16-bit command line operating
system that ran one program or application at a time. DOS was very
simple, and did not provide a Hardware Abstraction Layer like other
operating systems that followed it. That meant that whenever a DOS
program needed to access the hardware to do some task, such as play a
sound to the speakers or dial a modem, the program accessed the
hardware directly.

DOS was limited by its rushed design from 1981, inheriting several
design decisions that made it easier to develop quickly. For example,
DOS is famous for its limited memory. You may have heard the phrase
640k ought to be enough for everyone--that refers to the base memory
support on DOS, limited to 640 kilobytes of memory.

But DOS and DOS applications made the best use of that limited
memory, made better by the addition of Extended Memory, and then
Expanded Memory, to allow programs to use more memory installed on
the system. DOS programs dominated the personal computing scene in
the 1980s, and quickly moved into the office. While uninspiring to
today's minds, DOS spreadsheets and text-only word processors were
the daily workhorses in every office. And it seemed there was a DOS
application to fit every niche, whether that was databases,
utilities, tools, terminals, desktop publishing, games--and an
endless list of all kinds of programs.

DOS was also quite simple, which made it easy for beginners to learn
what made computers work. The computer booted the DOS kernel, which
reads the CONFIG.SYS file to set parameters. Then the kernel ran a
user shell, usually COMMAND.COM, which in turn read the file
AUTOEXEC.BAT to set up the user environment. After that, the user
could run programs from the command line.

And that's why DOS was such a powerhouse in the 1980s and early
1990s. Its simple architecture and design made it easy to learn and
easy to use, and was more than powerful enough to support the
applications that people needed to run.

I was so fond of using DOS, and so productive working in it, that
when Microsoft announced in 1994 that the next version of Windows
would kill DOS, I decided to create an open source version of DOS so
I could keep using my favorite desktop operating system rather than
move to Windows. FreeDOS is distributed under the GNU General Public
License so it will always be free for everyone to use. I've been
working with FreeDOS ever since--and yes, I still use it to run some
of my favorite DOS programs at home.

Open source DOS
===============
FreeDOS hasn't always been the only open source DOS. In 1996, Caldera
announced OpenDOS, a re-release of DR-DOS under a source available
license that wasn't really open source. In 2014, Microsoft partnered
with the Computer History Museum to share the source code to MS-DOS
1.1 and 2.0. Unfortunately, that wasn't very open source either; the
license was essentially look but do not touch.

With these missteps, it seemed FreeDOS really was the only open
source DOS option.

To everyone's surprise in 2018, Microsoft released the source code to
MS-DOS 1.25 and 2.0 on GitHub. This time, they did it the right way,
and adopted the MIT open source license. The MIT license is also
known as the Expat license and is compatible with the GNU General
Public License. The Free Software Foundation (via GNU) says the Expat
license is "a lax, permissive non-copyleft free software license,
compatible with the GNU GPL." That means you can reuse code from an
MIT-licensed project in a program that's distributed under the GNU
General Public License.

This was not the first time Microsoft embraced open source. Microsoft
has had developers contributing to Linux and other open source
projects for years, and earlier in 2018 Microsoft acquired GitHub, a
very popular platform for open source projects.

But the 2018 release of the old MS-DOS versions was significant
because there was no business model behind it. Microsoft released the
source code to MS-DOS 1.25 and 2.0 because they recognized that DOS
was a significant milestone in computing. They could have simply
released the programs without source code, allowing anyone to
experience them for the sake of history. Instead, they released the
source code under an open source license, so people could explore the
source code to understand how it worked.

Microsoft releases MS-DOS 4.00
==============================
On April 25, 2024, Microsoft announced the surprise release of MS-DOS
4.00, complete with source code. This was no easy feat; as the blog
post explains, Microsoft partnered with IBM for portions of the code,
so releasing the source code required working with Microsoft and IBM
to review code and obtain clearances to share the source code under
an open source license.

<https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/opensource/2024/04/25/
open-sourcing-ms-dos-4-0/>

<https://github.com/microsoft/MS-DOS/tree/main/v4.0>

MS-DOS 4.00 was not particularly well received at the time, due to
several compatibility bugs and instability. Microsoft released a
fixed MS-DOS 4.01 to address these issues. But MS-DOS 4 was
significant for several new features, including a DOS shell and a new
MEM command to show you how much (or how little) memory was available
to you.

I'm very excited to see this open source release of MS-DOS 4.00.
However, don't get too excited that FreeDOS might be able to
copy/paste code from MS-DOS 4.0. While the GNU license allows merging
code from the MIT-licensed project, the practical limitation is that
most of MS-DOS was written in Assembly, with a few things in C.
FreeDOS is the opposite; the FreeDOS kernel is written in C with some
Assembly. But some tools and utilities from MS-DOS might be merged
into other FreeDOS programs.

Still, it's important to recognize the big step that Microsoft has
taken in releasing the source code to MS-DOS 4.00. The new open
source MS-DOS means that we have a new reference for how MS-DOS
worked under the hood. This will benefit everyone, not just FreeDOS.
Users and developers can now examine this classic version of MS-DOS
to understand not just what it does, but how it does it. And that's a
significant step forward. Congratulations to everyone at Microsoft
and IBM for this release.

Building MS-DOS 4.00 on FreeDOS
===============================
If you get a "line too long" error when trying to do a build of
MS-DOS 4.00, this video shows how to work around that and
demonstrates a successful build:

<https://www.youtube.com/embed/X7r76V_gWQ8>

From: <https://allthingsopen.org/articles/open-source-dos>

Re: Another Open Source DOS (Yawn)

<v13nlq$p9ih$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4058&group=comp.misc#4058

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Another Open Source DOS (Yawn)
Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 22:15:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Fri, 3 May 2024 22:15 UTC

On Fri, 3 May 2024 15:40:51 -0000 (UTC), Ben Collver wrote:

> Another open source DOS: A new reference for how MS-DOS worked under the
> hood

“Coming soon: Engineering Secrets Of the Morris Minor!”

Re: Another Open Source DOS

<v16f8d$1es0j$7@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4062&group=comp.misc#4062

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Another Open Source DOS
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 23:10:05 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 4 May 2024 23:10 UTC

Ben Collver <bencollver@tilde.pink> wrote at 15:40 this Friday (GMT):
> [...]
> FreeDOS is the opposite; the FreeDOS kernel is written in C with some
> Assembly. But some tools and utilities from MS-DOS might be merged
> into other FreeDOS programs.
>
> Still, it's important to recognize the big step that Microsoft has
> taken in releasing the source code to MS-DOS 4.00. The new open
> source MS-DOS means that we have a new reference for how MS-DOS
> worked under the hood. This will benefit everyone, not just FreeDOS.
> Users and developers can now examine this classic version of MS-DOS
> to understand not just what it does, but how it does it. And that's a
> significant step forward. Congratulations to everyone at Microsoft
> and IBM for this release.
>
> Building MS-DOS 4.00 on FreeDOS
> If you get a "line too long" error when trying to do a build of
> MS-DOS 4.00, this video shows how to work around that and

Interesting. I'm sure that Comp Sci courses will enjoy using that as a
teaching device.

computers / comp.misc / Another Open Source DOS